News Events Forum Runs Members Links Drive Guide Join Help
Next Events
Central - 28th Jan 2018
Sunday Lunch, Gatehead

Tayside - 31st Mar 2018
Balloch

Grampian - 13th Dec 2017
December Pub Meet

Highland - 27th Jan 2018
Bowling

Past Events
Central - 10th Dec 2017
Christmas Lunch

Tayside - 3rd Dec 2017
Pre-Xmas Madness Lunch

Grampian - 9th Dec 2017
The Tinsel Run (Postponed)

Highland - 9th Dec 2017
CHRISTMAS PARTY





Events

Planning Meeting
Sun 11th Jan 2009 to Sun 11th Jan 2009
organised by Central Scotland

Car Count : Unknown
[ show pre-run info ]

PLANNING MEETING
The conference suite at the Newhouse Hotel


Sunday 11th January 2009


Download Official Minutes Here


SUMMARY OF DISCUSSIONS


1. Welcome
The meeting was opened with Gavin Ryans AC chairing the meeting and he offered a warm welcome to all attending.

2. 2008 Overview
An overview of events held during 2008 was then given by Gavin and a summary is included below.

3. Presentation on the Spring Rally
Mino Manekshaw, member of CS but also National Area Liaison Team Leader, then gave a preview presentation of the events planned for the Spring Rally in Yorkshire and also an indication of the other events which are being arranged for the 15th anniversary of the UK Owners club and the 20th anniversary of the launch of the MX5 both being celebrated this year.

4. Pub Meets
It was agreed that, as an addition to the weeknight pub meets, a trial be held of having some Sunday lunch time meets which would allow some short drives to lunch from a variety of starting points and also allow those who cannot make midweek pub meets due to work to have the opportunity of attending. As there was concern that this might affect the current pub meet arrangements it was emphasised that the Sunday meets were an addition to not an alternative to the existing arrangements.

5. Programme for 2009
A discussion then took place on the main business of the meeting being the arranging of the 2009 programme of events.
A full events listing has been posted on the MX-5 Scotland website. It should be noted that a few of the runs still require volunteers to organise them and if anyone is interested please contact Gavin.

6. Raffle proceeds in 2009
After discussion it was agreed that all proceeds from this year’s raffles be donated to a charity and the result of the vote on a charity was that for this year the proceeds will go to “Help for Heroes.”
Other charities proposed were Maggie’s and The Heart Foundation and these will be considered again next year.
It was felt that the current financial position was healthy enough to allow all proceeds to be donated for this year and that the position should be reviewed again next year.

7. Any other business
Stevie Smith Trophy
Enquiry was made by a member as to what had happened to the Stevie Smith Trophy, which did not appear to have been awarded last year and it was requested that if presentation had lapsed that it be reinstated this year.
This was agreed and Gavin then asked if anyone knew the whereabouts of the trophy.
It was then advised that the trophy had been awarded at a pub night and that the winners were Rob and Margaret. The criteria, which had been adopted at last years Planning Meeting, was that the person who had attended the most number of events, excluding pub meets, would win the trophy and this had proved to be Rob and Margaret. It was agreed that this manner of choosing the winner be continued this year. It was further agreed that the run nearest to the date of Stevie Smith’s death be designated the Stevie Smith Memorial Run and this year that will be the Lindisfarne run.

Area Coordinator Elections
A member then asked if there could be an explanation of what, if anything, was happening regarding election of coordinators for this year. As there is an ongoing assessment of events in Central Scotland, as noted in recent correspondence, Mino then explained that it would be inappropriate to have elections at the present time as an assessment was ongoing into accusations of impropriety against one elected officer of the club and complaints which had also been made about individual members and groups of members of the club. It was felt that reasoned judgement in a vote could not be made at present as facts relating to the enquiry were not currently in the public domain and therefore any voting which took placed would be based on here say or on allegiances formed from the forum postings.
Mino advised that Gavin had agreed to continue as Area Coordinator during the assessment process and that, if necessary, once the assessment findings were made public then elections would take place.

Area Coordinator Appreciation
A member suggested that the Stevie Smith Trophy be presented to Douglas and Linda for 2009 in appreciation of the work they had carried out for Central Scotland in the past. This was not accepted as it was thought the trophy winner should be more reflective of Stevie’s time in the club which involved his taking part in events both in CS and other areas. A unanimous agreement was evident however that Douglas and Linda’s efforts should be recorded as being much appreciated and that through Douglas’ enthusiasm, friendship and work Central Scotland had flourished during his time as coordinator.

Assessment of Events in Central Scotland
An extended discussion then took place into the purpose of having the assessment as detailed in recent correspondence from Club Chairman.
Many differing views were expressed and Mino asked that these be forwarded to John Cookson as well as being discussed at the meeting so that reasoned assessment could be made.
The main points raised were;

That Douglas had suffered enough in having resigned from his post as area coordinator and that the assessment was therefore pointless.

That the assessment should continue as serious allegations had been made against an elected officer of the club and as these had not been withdrawn they needed to be proved or disproved.

That certain individuals had acted improperly at the Oban weekend and had shown disrespect to the members who had organised the evening quiz

That some members did not consider that taking part in quiz nights at events was compulsory and therefore had not been disrespectful and indeed no insult was intended and also that the Oban weekend events were not the beginning of the difficulties but the culmination of them, a point that most members would be unaware of.

That all members have the right to state there personal opinions on the club forum.

That if members in dispute with Douglas had met with him face to face then we would not be in this current situation

That two members read out emails sent to Douglas asking for face to face discussion one of which had not been replied to and the other was replied to with a definitive refusal by Douglas to meet face to face

That the refusal of face to face discussion by Douglas may have been due to the National committee having been involved by then and the matter therefore already had gone too far

That public accusations against a group of individuals meant that the matter could not be resolved in private or they remained accused and condemned in public

That a public accusation and judgement had taken place on the forum without due process.

That John Cookson was not qualified enough to conduct the assessment and a more qualified person should be appointed

That John Cookson appointment and the assessment was costing too much and the matter should be resolved at local level

Mino, on behalf of the National Committee, advised that the actions being taken were neither of the National Committee’s making nor were they their desired way of resolving the issues but that as accusations had been made and complaints received then the national committee had no alternative but to act.

He intimated that he felt that they were damned if they did nothing and damned if they acted. They were equally damned for spending club funds appointing an assessor but were also damned for not spending more and employing someone more specifically qualified.

Comment was made that the decision to go down the current assessment process was made too late however Mino advised that this was last resort and other processes had been tried. Implication was made that the letter received prior to the planning meeting was issued at an inappropriate time and Mino advised that it had been intended to be issued pre Christmas but due to publishing difficulties he only found out that it had not been sent out on his return from holiday when alternative printers were arranged and the letter issued.

Some members felt that they were being driven out of the club due to the split that had evolved over this matter and others indicated that this was most certainly not the case.

A frank discussion ensued on these points and some other minor elements of this matter which at least allowed an airing of differing views.

That being all the business the meeting closed.




OVERVIEW of 2008

New Year Run Lanarkshire: 24 cars
January Planning Meeting; 24 cars
February Tech Day: 19 cars
March Ayrshire Run: 21 cars
Easter North 3 day tour: 8 cars (7 CS and 1 NSE)
Easter South 2 day tour: 2 cars overnight plus 6 cars on run
April Kames Sprint: 18 cars to watch Kev Hamilton compete
April Visit to Scottish Parliament: 30+ cars
May East Lothian Run: 13 cars
May Spring Rally: unknown attendance
May Inverness with friends: 2 cars overnight plus 2 cars on run
June Callendar Weekend: 17 cars
June Tech Day: 12 cars
July Duns to Jim Clark Room: 16 cars
July track night: unknown attendance
August Perthshire Glens Run: 20 cars
August Culzean Autoclassica 2 days: 23 cars and 3 competition trophys
September National Rally: unknown attendance
September The Gathering: 50 cars CS plus 23 cars NS areas
October Kames Sprint to see Kev again: 7 cars
October Oban Weekend: 22cars over 2 days
November Mad Morton's Fife Extravaganza; 19 cars
November Snowy Tech Day: 11 cars
December Xmas Lunch; 36 people
December Xmas Run: 8 cars
Pub meets: 17 in total ranging from 17 cars to 7 giving an average attendance of 11.53 cars per meet


20090111_cs_planning_meeting.doc



Event Images

no images have been uploaded for this event

[Click here to upload your image(s)]
(A guide can be found on the help pages)

Your Comments
11th Jan 2009 20:56 :: Colin
Good to see opinions aired at last and glad to get some thoughts on all aspects of the the Club off my chest. I feel I can now move on and hope we all get back to the business of enjoying the MX5 to the limit.

11th Jan 2009 21:24 :: Jasper
Well, that was an eventful meet. Could have been better, but could also have been worse. At least i personally don´t feel an urge to cancel my membership.

11th Jan 2009 21:44 :: BillB
Glad to hear that Jasper. No doubt I will hear in due course if anyone stepped up to the line for elction to the vacant position of joint AC.

12th Jan 2009 11:06 :: Brian McMillan
Apologies for non attendance but some last minute family matters cropped up.
rgds
Brian

12th Jan 2009 21:23 :: Jacqueline & Ian
It's going to be a busy year with 32 events now listed in the future events section. It turned out to be a successful planning meeting. Good to see everyone again, looking forward to a years fun with you all.

Ian

14th Jan 2009 10:09 :: Robin
To date, I have received 3 PM's and two private Emails asking me basically what the 09 CS structure is. I'm happy to help, but may I ask that something is posted soon to assist those who were unable to attend what is..in it's own way the CS "AGM"/Planner
Thanks
Robin

14th Jan 2009 16:45 :: Gavin
Year planner will be posted soon so that you can download it yourself.

14th Jan 2009 17:35 :: Robin
Aplogies Gavin, I did perhaps did not make my self very clear. They seek & sought structure...EG AC's...who is who...not the programme.

14th Jan 2009 18:35 :: Gavin
They can PM me and ask the question which I will reply to.

14th Jan 2009 18:41 :: Si
Would it be possible to just answer publicy then we're all clear what the structure is?  It'll save you having to answer a million and one (ok, 5) emails.

14th Jan 2009 20:10 :: Robin
Gavin.
These paying members...your "customers"..have now to apply in person to you to extract basic information? Information which would normally by now be in the Forum,  transparent, informative, and expected. I've dealt with some...you can do the rest.

14th Jan 2009 23:57 :: Claire
I was at the meeting and I\'d be interested in knowing the offical line of structures and plans for electing new AC\'s because it was all a bit vague on Sunday.

Is there still going to be two AC\'s or will there be only be one newly elected AC for central in 2009?  Also how do we vote for or nominate someone to be an AC for 2009 as I understand that this is normally done at the start of the planning meeting?

It was a bit of a surprise that we had to ask about this at the meeeting under any other meeting as I thought it would be a key issue moving forward. 

However I\'d appreciate if the plans could be published openly as I will not be PM\'ing about it, I believe what both sides of the meeting were calling for was more openness so perhaps this is a good enough time to start.


15th Jan 2009 06:30 :: chic and heather
Good to see that you are still interested in the CS club Claire after you informed the meeting on numerous occasions that you were leaving along with a number of other members. Hopefully Johns comments to you had some positive effect.

I am sure that Gavin will post a report once he has time to wrute one up. However the plans in relation to the AC's position was made very clear by Mino in that it will be reviewed and elections held after the assesment is completed by John Cookson and in the interim Gavin will continue as sole AC.At least that was my understandimg of what was said. There were as i recall no objections to this proposal

15th Jan 2009 08:17 :: ronnie
I have PM'd Gavin as I was not at the meeting due to another commitment. I am awaiting his reply.

15th Jan 2009 16:38 :: Claire
I look forward to hearing the official position shortly from our AC.

Chic and Heather as a paid up member of the club and as I stated at the meeting on Sunday I shall await the outcome of the investigation to decide my future role in the club.  Thanks for your reply though :)


16th Jan 2009 13:50 :: Gavin
As was explained at the meeting byMino Manekshaw who is on the National Committee, it was felt that pending the outcome of John Cookson's investigation I would stay on as AC for the near future. Once the report findings have been published then it would only be fair to hold a meeting to find elect ACs. If anyone has a problem with that then they are perfectly entitled to speak to someone from the NC.

19th Jan 2009 21:13 :: Si
Minutes and an overview of 2008 now added (courtesy of Chic & Heather)

Name :
Email : *not displayed
Comment :

<< Back to Central previous events
Web by Simon © 2004