Another tyre question

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Another tyre question

Postby Delboy69 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:18 pm

Hi folks,i got myself a set of 17" sport alloys for my mk3 NC and the tyres on them are 205/45/17 and needing replaced,read on another forum that someone had replaced them with 215/45/17,is there any benefits from going from 205 to 215 apart from a small price difference?The car isnt my daily and don't do track days plus the mrs car will soon need new tyres as well so not looking to spend a fortune on tyres but don't want cheap and nasty either,having looked online I've narrowed it down to 3...Nankang NS 20 Avon zv7 and Kumho Ecsta Ps71,they are all around the same price give or take and the only other difference is the Avons are listed as A rated for the wet and a bit quieter and the other 2 are C rated for wet so any advice is welcomed
Stay safe folks
Delboy69

Re: Another tyre question

Postby IanH » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:19 pm

I would rate the Kumho Ecsta as a good option for the MX-5, can’t comment on the others and you should be fine with the size.
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby drumtochty » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:50 pm

Not an issue but you MUST and that does not mean when you get round to it. YOU MUST advise your insurance company the day you get them fitted or the day before that, you have modified your car as these tyres are not the size as those fitted by Mazda or advised by Mazda as the reommended tyre size.

I do not think they will increase your insurance premium.

You have been advised!!
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red Sold
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Delboy69 » Fri May 01, 2020 1:05 pm

Thanks guys,looks like the kumhos are are the tyres i will be putting on as getting a deal from blackcircles on them
Delboy69

Return to Technical