Dashboard Eyeball Vent

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Dashboard Eyeball Vent

Postby Dave MacPherson » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:38 pm

I’m trying to replace the eyeball vents on my 2009 MK3.5 without success. I’ve looked at some previous postings on Forum using cable ties and also on U Tube sliding an old credit card down the side of the unit but to no avail. Am I missing something, is the eyeball screwed in or fixed differently from earlier models, or is it just a case of to keep trying? I don’t want to having to resort to a screw driver.
Dave
Dave MacPherson
OC Member
David MacPherson

Re: Dashboard Eyeball Vent

Postby drumtochty » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:56 pm

You can buy access to the Mazda Portal to see the workshop manuals. I do not think the ones at mellens cover that car.

If you have no luck get back to me but the workshop manuals do not cover all the trim items.

If I remember it is 8 Euro an hour or so to buy the access. It is a very generous hour they give.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red Sold
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby GarryC » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:01 am

Hi Dave, I have just replaced the 2 centre vents and put the chrome covers on all 4 vents, in order to get the vents out on a mk 3 you have to take the whole panel of and the vents come of from behind. There is no way on a mk3 you can get the vents out from the front. Hope this helps.
GarryC

Postby Dave MacPherson » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:32 am

Hi Garry - thanks for that, I'll stop trying to pull them out from the front. I'm waiting on MX5 Parts getting back to me, I suspect that I'll probably end up sending the chrome balls back. I'd prefer not to take the panel out for something that is after all a purely cosmetic change.
Thanks again, Dave
Dave MacPherson
OC Member
David MacPherson

Postby GarryC » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:14 pm

Dave MacPherson wrote:Hi Garry - thanks for that, I'll stop trying to pull them out from the front. I'm waiting on MX5 Parts getting back to me, I suspect that I'll probably end up sending the chrome balls back. I'd prefer not to take the panel out for something that is after all a purely cosmetic change.
Thanks again, Dave

Hi Dave,
It's not that difficult you just have to take your time, some videos on you tube to help. I put the chrome covers on and the chrome trim on the outside and it has a very pleasant look. Also changed the 2 center vents with 2 vents that close, just like the 2 outer ones
GarryC

Postby Dave MacPherson » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:21 pm

Hi Gary - I did have a root around under the dash on both sides of the steering wheel with a torch and decided it was going to be very awkward and so I've returned the chromed eyeball units to MX5 Parts for a refund. Many thanks for your help anyway.
Dave
Dave MacPherson
OC Member
David MacPherson

Return to Technical