Preserve and Protect

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Preserve and Protect

Postby Dave MacPherson » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:52 am

My 2009 Mk3.5 bodywork looks great, immaculate engine bay and boot, interior in a similar condition with no sign of damp, underneath its a different storey. The car has only done 27,000 miles but there’s heavy corrosion underneath to suspension arms and linkages, structural plates and cross members are badly rusted. I know that this is a common MX problem. I’ve been in touch with Preserve and Protect:-

Below is a run down of their undersealing process:

The process takes approx. 4 days to complete, it is an in-depth service we provide and very thorough.

Once your Vehicle comes in we remove the wheels and plastic liners. We rub down any flaking rust and fully steam clean the underside of the vehicle using a degreaser, from here we will treat the rust with rust convertor this is left to cure overnight.

The next stage is to inject all sills and cavities with cavity wax. Doors are treated as part of the process.

The last stage is to treat the full underside with Underbody wax this is left to cure. (Black Wax or Bronze)

Price wise you'll be looking at £600.00. With your style of vehicle we will carryout a double injection of cavity wax into all cavities for maximum protection.

We carryout Free annual inspections, bring your vehicle back and we can fully inspect its overall condition after each year. This is part of your warranty. If a top up is required all you would pay for is the wax used no labour charge.

With every vehicle we work on we picture each stage so you will have an understanding of the before condition and the end results.

I very much appreciate you taking the time to contact us, If I can talk you through the process or assist further please don't hesitate to contact me on,

‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪01505336256‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬ or Mobile ‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪07460656226‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬

Kindest Regards

Mark Woodman
Dinitrol Approved Applicators for Scotland

Find us at unit 6c, Vulcan Works, Johnstone PA5 8PA
Dave MacPherson
OC Member
David MacPherson

Re: Preserve and Protect

Postby IanH » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:08 pm

I'd say this is fair price to have someone else do it for you. For a DIY job to be effective you will need indoor space, a lift of some kind and at least two days. Materials say £150, elbow grease and dirt lots!

P&P seem to have a good name.
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby drumtochty » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:15 pm

They are a good company.

A 2006 car in the village is getting the following but before I explain that, a 10 year old MK1 or MK2 around 10 years ago would need probably two new rear half wings and considerable sill work and maybe a new front wing. By now the other front wing would have been changed.

Total cost circa £2,000.

The 2006 car in the village needs,

Welding of the rear chassis rail sections both sides,

Some patch welding of the rear arches.

A new bracket for the charcoal fume canister underneath.

The owner is doing a lot of the cleaning and undersealing himself, the welding is being done by a retired mechanic say £250 and the underneath will be hand painted and undersealed and both wings painted by the local body shop say £500.

Cost of materials and labour £1,000 and a car fit for 10 years.

Your car is now 11 years old.

When the car is down at P and P they may well point out welding to be done.

Let’s hope you are lucky.

If you were nearer you would be welcome to put the car on my lift to look at it but Aberdeenshire is around 90 miles from you while P and P are nearer 50 miles away.

PM me if you want to chat in detail.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red Sold
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:32 pm

99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Dave MacPherson » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:43 am

Many thanks to Ian H and Eddie for your replies. I haven't decided what to do yet, the car is garaged over the winter, but £600 didn't sound unreasonable. Eddie, I may give you a ring for a chat before I go ahead if that's ok.
Dave
Dave MacPherson
OC Member
David MacPherson

Postby Bob the Train » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:47 am

I'd go for the underseal. Very professional job done by P&P. Usual disclaimers.
Bob the Train
OC Member
Bob McNair
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:11 pm

As if by Magic MX5parts have launched these rear half wings for the Mk3.

https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/rear-wheel-a ... -4593.html

You have my number, ring any time.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Enjay » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:06 pm

I too have used Preserve and Protect. They did my ND for me and my Year 2000 MR2 MkIII. Excellent jobs in both cases. They really know their stuff and are enthusiastic about their products and cars in general (and they really know MX5s). The process if very thorough.

It's expensive in as much as it's a lot of money to spend in one go, but it is very much value for money in my opinion. I'd happily go to them again.
Enjay

Return to Technical