2Way Radios

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

2Way Radios

Postby GarryC » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:19 pm

Hello everyone, just bought my first mx5 and then joined the club and looking forward to joining you on some of the runs you organise. I read that you use 2-way radios to keep in touch with other drivers, I would like to buy a radio but not sure which none you use. Would appreciate if you could point me in the right direction. Cheers
GarryC

Re: 2Way Radios

Postby special k » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:41 pm

Welcome Garry

Enjoy your car

Sorry I am unsure what area you are in. I am a member of the Central area & at every run/meet the club Area Coordinators have a few club radios that you can borrow for the day. These are always available to try. There are a few on the market so perhaps you could speak to the members on the run that you attend & choose from there

Steven
special k
OC Member
Steven Kilpatrick
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby GarryC » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:13 pm

Hi Steven, thanks for the reply, I live in Glenrothes, so would be better for me to be in the Central Region.
GarryC

Postby Enjay » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:30 pm

Just been on a trip with some friends. Two cars (no 5s) across on the Western Isles. One of my friends bought some cheapy Argos radios and they worked just fine: not much range but then I wouldn't expect that sitting inside a metal box (even from more expensive units), but good enough for a bit of chat when the cars were reasonably close.
Enjay

Postby GarryC » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:40 pm

Thanks , for the information about the Argos radios, I was thinking that the club members all had the same radios so they might communicate with everyone, if this was the case I would buy a similar radio for using on a run with other drivers. I just need to know what radios are used. Cheers
GarryC

Postby DrewN » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:51 pm

Garry,
The type of radio used is the PMR446 type made by a number of manufacturers. This is a licence free system.
Cheap ones have very limited range and range improves as price increases. However they all tend to lose signal in hilly areas and as distance between cars increases.
However the are more than adequate when a group of cars are fairly close together.

The club have a set of 4 Motorola TLKR T80 units which are available to members on runs but this model has recently been discontinued.
I personally use the good quality Cobra MT975 which I have had for a while and is also discontinued but can still be found on Ebay etc.
I also found a pair for sale on Amazon for £39.60 link below -
Cobra MT 975-2VP PMR446 Walkie Talkie Radio Twin Pack With Charger And Batteries - Black/Blue
by Total Digital Stores
Learn more:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001BP4N9C/ ... sDbTA70BCV
This is a good price as I think I paid about £70 a few years ago.

If you are looking for a decent current unit have a look at Motorola or Cobra websites and surf the net for best deals.
They are normally sold in pairs.
Good shopping.

Cheers,
Drew
ps I am in Dunfermline and hold the club units. If you want to have a look at them come over. Send a private message and Ican give you my address.
Drew Ness
57 NC Sport Tech RC, Copper Red
13 NC Sport Graphite RC, Aquatic Blue
16 ND Sport Recaro, Ceramic
DrewN
OC Member
Drew Ness

Postby GarryC » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:14 am

Hi Drew, thanks for all the information you have given me, I will do some research on the web and try to source one of the better radios, and thanks for the offer of one of the club radios. I hope to see you at the next run or your next meeting. I won't manage anything from the 23rd August until the 30th as I've booked the car into a garage in Johnstone for a Dinitrol rust treatment. Cheers Garry
GarryC

Postby Bob the Train » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:00 am

GarryC wrote:I've booked the car into a garage in Johnstone for a Dinitrol rust treatment. Cheers Garry

You won't regret it, he does a magnificent job. Give Mark my regards when you go in.
Bob the Train
OC Member
Bob McNair
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby GarryC » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:54 pm

Will do Bob, a fair distance for me to travel but read so many good reports about the work he does that I feel it is worth the inconvenience. Also bought a pair of the Cobra radios from amazon, getting them today so looking forward to a run out with you guys sometime.
GarryC

Postby Bob the Train » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:48 pm

GarryC wrote:Will do Bob, a fair distance for me to travel but read so many good reports about the work he does that I feel it is worth the inconvenience. Also bought a pair of the Cobra radios from amazon, getting them today so looking forward to a run out with you guys sometime.

Let me know when you are going and I might pop along. I'm only 3 miles away from Mark.
Bob the Train
OC Member
Bob McNair
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby GarryC » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:17 pm

Bob the Train wrote:
GarryC wrote:Will do Bob, a fair distance for me to travel but read so many good reports about the work he does that I feel it is worth the inconvenience. Also bought a pair of the Cobra radios from amazon, getting them today so looking forward to a run out with you guys sometime.

Let me know when you are going and I might pop along. I'm only 3 miles away from Mark.

That would be great Bob, would be good to meet you, Booked in for Sat 24th but intend to drop the car off on the Friday or Thursday, will confirm closer to the date. Cheers Garry
Ps New radios arrived and on charge, hoping to use them soon, when is the next run out or meeting?
GarryC

Postby IanH » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:35 am

Events listed on the front page http://www.mx5scotland.co.uk/
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby GarryC » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:00 pm

IanH wrote:Events listed on the front page http://www.mx5scotland.co.uk/

Thanks, Ian, would like to join the run but at the moment I have other commitments on that day, so not sure if I can postpone them, will have to wait until a little closer to the date. Garry
GarryC

Postby GarryC » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:51 pm

DrewN wrote:Garry,
The type of radio used is the PMR446 type made by a number of manufacturers. This is a licence free system.
Cheap ones have very limited range and range improves as price increases. However they all tend to lose signal in hilly areas and as distance between cars increases.
However the are more than adequate when a group of cars are fairly close together.

The club have a set of 4 Motorola TLKR T80 units which are available to members on runs but this model has recently been discontinued.
I personally use the good quality Cobra MT975 which I have had for a while and is also discontinued but can still be found on Ebay etc.
I also found a pair for sale on Amazon for £39.60 link below -
Cobra MT 975-2VP PMR446 Walkie Talkie Radio Twin Pack With Charger And Batteries - Black/Blue
by Total Digital Stores
Learn more:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001BP4N9C/ ... sDbTA70BCV
This is a good price as I think I paid about £70 a few years ago.

If you are looking for a decent current unit have a look at Motorola or Cobra websites and surf the net for best deals.
They are normally sold in pairs.
Good shopping.

Cheers,
Drew
ps I am in Dunfermline and hold the club units. If you want to have a look at them come over. Send a private message and Ican give you my address.

Hi Drew, bought a pair of the Cobra radios, what channel and privacy code does the club set the radios too, Garry
GarryC

Postby DrewN » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:05 pm

Garry,
I hope you enjoy your radios, I have had mine for a about 8 years with no problem. Rechargeable batteries are also the originals.

We use channel 5 with no privacy code. This normally works 99.9% of the time with little interferance from other users nearby.
It saves people having to set up privacy codes

Cheers,
Drew
Drew Ness
57 NC Sport Tech RC, Copper Red
13 NC Sport Graphite RC, Aquatic Blue
16 ND Sport Recaro, Ceramic
DrewN
OC Member
Drew Ness

Postby GarryC » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:10 am

Hi Drew, thanks once again for the info, very pleased with the quality of the radios, dying to try them out on a run, there is a slim chance I might manage the run this Sunday, it would just mean an early start to get there for 9.30am.
Cheers Garry
GarryC

Postby GarryC » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:39 pm

Bob the Train wrote:

Hi Bob, I will be at Mark's garage tomorrow (Friday 23rd) at 12 noon to drop my car off, They are on holiday at the moment but will open up so I may drop my car off, would be good to meet you if you can manage along, Garry
GarryC

Postby Bob the Train » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:11 am

GarryC wrote:Hi Bob, I will be at Mark's garage tomorrow (Friday 23rd) at 12 noon to drop my car off, They are on holiday at the moment but will open up so I may drop my car off, would be good to meet you if you can manage along, Garry

Hello Garry,
I'll be at the Men's Shed today so unfortunately won't make it Maybe when you pick it up?
Bob the Train
OC Member
Bob McNair
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby GarryC » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:24 pm

Bob the Train wrote:
GarryC wrote:Hi Bob, I will be at Mark's garage tomorrow (Friday 23rd) at 12 noon to drop my car off, They are on holiday at the moment but will open up so I may drop my car off, would be good to meet you if you can manage along, Garry

Hello Garry,
I'll be at the Men's Shed today so unfortunately won't make it Maybe when you pick it up?

Hi Bob, dropped the car of today and Dylan said he would be starting on it Sat morning and hopes to finish it for Thursday, so I may be through on Thursday to collect.it, may manage to meet you then. Garry
GarryC

Postby GarryC » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:01 pm

Picked the car up from Preserve and Protect on Friday. Mark said it was very good underneath and not to worry about it rusting now, advised to take it back once a year to check for underseal that has been chipped with stones etc, A free service that he provides. Very pleased I have got it done.
GarryC

Next

Return to Technical