MK 3.5 Amplifier Replacement

All things to do with In Car Entertainment and music in general (latest CDs, gigs, etc)

MK 3.5 Amplifier Replacement

Postby Colin and Margaret » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:37 pm

Hi.... I have a 2010 Sport convertible and the amplifier is knackered..... Getting the machine gun from the speakers between the seats... Understand it’s a common fault so need to replace it.... I don’t want to change to a different system so can get a new amp from Mazda for £140 plus VAT..... While replacement seems to be simple with 3 bolts and 3 plugs, the amp is below the plastic well the roof folds down into and I cannot see how I can access it..... Mazda want £450 plus VAT just for the labour! Does anyone know where I can get someone to swap it out for a sensible cost?....... Thanks (I am located in Paisley).........
Colin and Margaret

Re: MK 3.5 Amplifier Replacement

Postby drumtochty » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:39 am

Search on Miata.net it appears it may be easier to get to than you think.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red Sold
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Colin and Margaret » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:10 pm

Have had a good look and not finding anything....... I know in the retractable hardtop cars, it sits just behind the drivers seat but the soft top is different and a nightmare to get at.... Any links or contacts would be gratefully received.......
Colin and Margaret

Postby IanH » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:08 am

This thread contains some zip files with PDF's of diagrams that does support the location of the amp

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=507127

I don't know if the information on Mellens will help, there is NC to 2008 and I can't imagine anything has changed with reference to the amp location:

http://www.mellens.net/mazda/

According to this link the amplifier is easily removed and gives instructions:

https://boserepairexperts.eu/mazda-mx-5-bose-amplifier-repairs/
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby Colin and Margaret » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:25 am

Thanks for the info Ian..... A lot of it refers to the retractable hardtop version which has the amplifier in a different location that is pretty easy to access..... The guys in Edinburgh had instructions on how to get to that but the soft top is not so easy..... The diagrams appear to be wiring ones and don’t actually show how to get to the amp itself..... Don't think I am winning.... Do you know of any garages in or around Glasgow/Paisley that can swap this out for me?...... Thanks
Colin and Margaret

Postby IanH » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:50 am

In theory you could move both seats as far forward as they go and then remove the plastic trim behind them, probably push fasteners and maybe a few bolts. More fiddly than difficult, seats out would give you more room though probably not essential.

Sorry, don't know any garages in the deep south.. 8)

The company in the last link are in Leith, not too far....
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Return to ICE and Music