Back again!

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Back again!

Postby John H » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:27 pm

Been a while, but I'm back.

I started with a NA (Eunos V Spec) which I loved, then a NC (Silver 1800 Mk3.5) another great car.
Now I've just taken delivery of a ND (2019 SE+) bought as a pre-registered car at a whopping discount.
Had it for two weeks and already got 900 miles on the clock, and starting to slacken off nicely.

It's good to be back in an MX5 again!

John H

20190706_160957_001rr.jpg
John H

Re: Back again!

Postby drumtochty » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:19 pm

Do you not miss the quality of the Porsche
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red Sold
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby IanH » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:07 am

Welcome back, car looks nice.
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby John H » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:40 am

drumtochty wrote:Do you not miss the quality of the Porsche

I thoroughly enjoyed the decade I spent with my Cayman, it was a fantastic car, but in it's latter years it became very maintenance intensive. I kept it under an extended Porsche warranty which was expensive, but not as expensive as the garage bills would have been. The much vaunted Porsche quality isn't really there any more, they are built pretty much like most other cars these days. The MX5 is admittedly built to a price, but it is as well engineered and built as a regular Porsche these days, at a fraction of the price. More to the ppoint, it offers a performance envelope you can still use on the road.
John H

Postby John H » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:42 am

IanH wrote:Welcome back, car looks nice.

Thank you Ian, I'm very pleased with it.
John H

Postby John H » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:54 am

One thing I like about the SE version (apart from the price) is the sheer simplicity of it. No leather seats, no big wheels, no touch screens, sat nav, Bluetooth or any of the other modern gubbins that most buyers consider essential these days. Just a simple unadorned sports car, the closest thing to the original NA in my humble opinion.

cockpitrr.jpg
John H

Postby drumtochty » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:52 pm

A distant friend just leased a Mercedes with a sticker price of £57k but he got the price down to £47k.

He like yourself advised it was built like a £30k car and was in his opinion after a month or so at least £10k over priced.

Enjoy your new MX5.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby Enjay » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:41 am

Looks very nice. I haven't seen too many white soft tops.
Enjay

Postby OldSpice » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:30 am

Is it really a decade John? Good grief.
Remember my old (even then!) BRG slush-box slapper?
Just it restored.
There will always be an imbecile you never bargained on within slapping distance.
You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public
OldSpice

Postby John H » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:43 am

OldSpice wrote:Is it really a decade John? Good grief.

Almost exactly, I bought my Eunos in April 2009. Alarming where the time goes innit?
John H

Postby John H » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:54 am

drumtochty wrote:A distant friend just leased a Mercedes with a sticker price of £57k but he got the price down to £47k.

He like yourself advised it was built like a £30k car and was in his opinion after a month or so at least £10k over priced.

I also have a Mercedes, an SLC, which I bought for nearly £10k off the sticker price. Great car, it may have two seats and a folding roof but it's like chalk and cheese to the Mazda.

Globalisation has evened out the quality differences between the best and the worst manufacturers. They all use the same robots, assembly machines, parts suppliers and methodologies, and all have to abide by the same legislation, so whether it is Proton or Porsche, Vauxhall or VW they are getting harder and harder to tell apart. The price has more to do with the prestige of the badge than the actual product.

My Mercedes has a different feel to the Mazda, but there is not much between them in build quality
John H

Postby liathach » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:46 pm

Nice one John. Enjoy. There is insufficient room in the ND for my style of continental touring hence our SLK/SLC.
Liathach
liathach
OC Member
Malcolm Lamont

Postby John H » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:07 am

liathach wrote:Nice one John. Enjoy. There is insufficient room in the ND for my style of continental touring hence our SLK/SLC.

Quite agree Malcolm, the ND is pretty tight on space. I am in the fortunate position of having the SLC and an Up GTI as well, which means I can enjoy the Mazda for the things it excels at without the compromise.
John H

Postby John H » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:15 am

An update .... Over the weekend the car turned over its first 1,000 miles, and I have now been driving it normally with no holding back. It feels absolutely fantastic, the difference in just 2 weeks running in is like night and day, especially the mid range pick up. On the nadgery little back roads of Fife it is quite the little weapon. It may be slower on paper than my old Cayman, but given my normal restraints for licence and common sense, there is no doubt that on B and C roads it covers the ground every bit as quickly. I also seem to be fitting into it better as the rather tight drivers seat squashes down and I get more used to it. Indeed I get almost the same feeling of connectedness with it as I did with the Cayman, which is a big compliment. It doesn’t have quite the finesse of the Porsche at speed, but at real world speeds it’s close. I’m liking this car.

1000rr.jpg
John H

Postby IanH » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:04 pm

John H wrote:An update .... Over the weekend the car turned over its first 1,000 miles, and I have now been driving it normally with no holding back. It feels absolutely fantastic, the difference in just 2 weeks running in is like night and day, especially the mid range pick up. On the nadgery little back roads of Fife it is quite the little weapon. It may be slower on paper than my old Cayman, but given my normal restraints for licence and common sense, there is no doubt that on B and C roads it covers the ground every bit as quickly. I also seem to be fitting into it better as the rather tight drivers seat squashes down and I get more used to it. Indeed I get almost the same feeling of connectedness with it as I did with the Cayman, which is a big compliment. It doesn’t have quite the finesse of the Porsche at speed, but at real world speeds it’s close. I’m liking this car.

1000rr.jpg

They are pretty engaging, I have recently moved from 3 1/2 years in the 1.5 to the recently updated 2.0, each is different in its characteristics and neither better than the other in my opinion. Caveat, the LSD in the 2.0 is a nice thing to have when taking a tight corner under power.
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby John H » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:36 pm

IanH wrote: They are pretty engaging, I have recently moved from 3 1/2 years in the 1.5 to the recently updated 2.0, each is different in its characteristics and neither better than the other in my opinion. Caveat, the LSD in the 2.0 is a nice thing to have when taking a tight corner under power.

Thanks for that Ian. What drew me to the 1.5 (apart from the bargain basement price) was the compliance in the suspension. The modern obsession with track perfomance has meant far too many cars are over sprung and over damped for our crumbling roads. I test drove the new Alpine A110 which was fantastic, and was set up perfectly for Scottish back roads, but sadly I couldn't afford one. The ND SE 1.5 is not quite in that league, but it has a similar compliant feel, which I really value. A friend down south has just taken delivery of his 30AE Roadster so I am itching to try them back to back.
John H

Postby drumtochty » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:37 pm

The Bilstien equiped ND cars are a bit harder until about say 4,000 miles in my case and they roll less. The 2 litre SEL is not Bilstien equiped. Double check your tyre pressure as my car was delivered with 35psi in the tyres and was a lot nicer when the tyre pressure was reduced to stock which is about 29 psi.

It is still a bit hard on certain poor road surfaces and from time to time you can feel the back end hitting the bump stops.

I reckon it will take another say 5,000 miles to improve the ride.

I was tempted by the 2 litre SEL but the roll put me off it.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby John H » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:27 pm

Delighted to say tyre pressures were spot on, one of the first things I checked.

I am told that the Bilsteins used on the revised ND2's are calibrated a little softer than they were on the original ND.
John H

Postby drumtochty » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:09 pm

Yes the 180bhp 2 litre GT+ that I bought is on average a touch softer than the cars I test drove in the summer of 2018 that were the 160 bhp 2 litre SportNavs.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby John H » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:23 pm

Had the MX5 for a month now, but some folk seem baffled why I have also kept my Mercedes SLC, as on the face of it they appear so similar. Well the last few days have proved the point, but it didn’t quite go to plan.

My brother has been working abroad for a month, and isn’t due back for another 10 days, so on a whim I decided to go check out his house and open any important mail for him, and the SLC seemed like the car for the job. It simply purred up to Stonehaven from my home in Fife and as I opened up the house I was running over in my head what I might write about it. That all changed when I realised his living room was an inch deep in water, as a pipe in the ceiling must have let go! Oh God, don’t panic ... get some old towels down on the floor, grab a neighbour to help, look for the stop cock, franticly phone Bill, who as luck would have it was on a Tachometer enforced stop in a French layby, and he tells us where the stop cock is, get the water turned off ... and then spend the rest of the afternoon mopping up water. Jeez, what a trauma and not how I’d planned to spend the day!

However, coming back, once I’d calmed down, I again started noticing how glorious the NE of Scotland is, as I purred along in the misty sunshine, roof closed and air con blasting, the Merc at its serene best. This is a car, which if you so desire, is happy to disconnect you from the driving experience. Automatic gearbox, silky smooth engine, digital cruise control, superb hi fi ... it all adds up to a delicious relaxing mode of transport. The fact that is has only two seats and is a convertible is totally irrelevant. Granted you can drop the roof and fire it around corners, it has the ability, but you are missing the car at its best. The Mazda on the other hand is the total opposite. It hard wires you into the drive, and is best with the roof down, wind in the face mode, relishing the crisp steering, the snickety gearchange, the revvy engine and the sheer fun of driving ... but only if you are in the mood for it, and coming home this afternoon I was never so glad to be in the Merc and not the Mazda.

Two similar white 2 seater convertibles they may be, but they are like chalk and cheese!

I love them both!

20190728_171221rr.jpg
John H

Next

Return to General Chat