New Member Sarah Working On Her Car

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

New Member Sarah Working On Her Car

Postby drumtochty » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:52 pm

This is our latest member Sarah lubing a sqeeky Clutch Slave Cylinder Pushrod.

Getting ready to change the diff oil, ready for Malcolm's (April) Meander

99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red Sold
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: New Member Sarah Working On Her Car

Postby Sarah21+ » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:58 pm

God, I'm so knowledgeable! ( Looking enormous in a pair of Eddie's overalls! :lol: )
Sarah21+
OC Member
Sarah & Richard Haugh

Postby chillax » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:00 pm

:D lol youll grow into the ovies Sarah! Great to see you getting stuck into the maintenance/fixing of your mx5, these cars really are nice to work on (if youve got a ramp like Eddies and excluding the odd rusty bolt) . Gayle is taking full advantage of me being on a take it easy order regarding working on the cars. She loves working on Mindy!
chillax

Postby Sarah21+ » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:50 pm

I'm hoping to become Eddie's new apprentice! What do you say Eddie? :lol:

Seriously though, I just watched Eddie sort out a few issues this afternoon really. I no longer have an extremely squeaky clutch or a near vertical positioned hand break!!! Hooray!!
Sarah21+
OC Member
Sarah & Richard Haugh

Postby drumtochty » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:09 am

We had an interesting afternoon in Drumtochty Glen.

Good Fun.
Last edited by drumtochty on Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby chillax » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:34 pm

drumtochty wrote:We has an interesting afternoon in Drumtochty Glen.

Good Fun.
So much garage envy here Eddie, your garage is awesome! Wish I'd got mine built with higher roof so I could have got a ramp in there! 8)
chillax

Postby drumtochty » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:58 pm

The problem is all these MX5's tun up, call it a Tech Day and demand Bacon rolls and Scones.

See the pictures at the bottom of this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15554&p=100233&hilit=tech+day#p100233

You would have issues getting planning permission in a town to have a garage extension as high as I was allowed.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby chillax » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:42 am

drumtochty wrote:The problem is all these MX5's tun up, call it a Tech Day and demand Bacon rolls and Scones.

See the pictures at the bottom of this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15554&p=100233&hilit=tech+day#p100233

You would have issues getting planning permission in a town to have a garage extension as high as I was allowed.

Yes, even just to get the current one built was a nightmare with planning, although the guy across the road (ex police) has just built a garage that is twice the size of my double garage, all with no permission required at all? :shock: We called the planning office as I was a bit pee'd at this after the hassle I had to go through, and was told by the head of planning (who is a complete tosser!) that said building across the road is within 4 metres square so doesn't require any planning or building warants etc. When we said it was twice the size of ours, he became very deffensive/frosty on the phone and said "well, I wouldn't take any action on just a phone call. You need to put this in writing to us before we will do anything, and as Ive said its 4m square so does not need any permission". 4m square my arse!! The actual door opening to it is bigger than the whole front of my garage! Plus the excavated 4 full tipper lorries of soil from the area too. I know how much excavation was needed for mine.......one skip, not even a truck!
We wrote to them and they refused to send anyone to check the construction, and again repeated the above stating 4m square. Obviously the ex police officer is probably a member of the Masonic lodge so a lot of back scratching going on I think. Really poked off as it appears he is now running a business from it! Normally I wouldnt mind at all and say fair play mate, crack on, but he's a bit of an ignorant/arogant sod hence I'm a bit annoyed.
chillax

Postby drumtochty » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:56 pm

The 4 square mtrs is only if you live in a conservation area or the garage is within the grounds of a listed building.

Otherwise you do not need planning permission if the area of the garage is no more than 30 mtrs square.

My garage is well over that.

We had two problems:

1) I wanted the extension to be 8 mtrs long but we hit big tree routes at 6.3 mtrs. Only a problem if someone brings in a long estate car.

2) The building warrant people wanted the design signed off by two structural engineers.

The job was too small for most structural design enginners and they were all busy.

After some months one company said we will need 4 weeks to do the design.

I received the approved drawings 6 months later and got the building warrant within a few days of sending the council the approved drawings..

See the project here.

viewtopic.php?t=11902
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to Technical