Battery flat after 2 weeks holiday.

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Battery flat after 2 weeks holiday.

Postby iain cooper » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:57 pm

anyone recommend a good battery charger, as been away for two weeks and battery will not start her.

Iain
iain cooper

Re: Battery flat after 2 weeks holiday.

Postby liathach » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:03 pm

Best is the Ctek intelligent charger (good, but not cheap) - it recharges the battery and then goes on to trickle charge without harming the battery. Aldi/Lidl occasionally have similar chargers but you never know when they will be in stock. I think Aldi had one just after New Year so it is Lidl's turn now!
Liathach
liathach
OC Member
Malcolm Lamont

Postby flood » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:45 pm

I got the Aldi XS one when back from Dubai 2 weeks ago as my RS-ltd battery was dead. I had got in contact with their twitter support and they found stock in Irvine for me thath day. They had taken them off sale, but had 12 available at the store area.

Link here saying none available just now but maybe worth checking with your local aldi's or contact their twitter account

https://www.aldi.co.uk/autoxs-car-batte ... 8252113900

I also use an isolation switch for disconnecting battery when i'm away, but no use if not garaged and alarm required. You can get these cheap on Amazon. I charged my S-Ltd in December, isolated and it fired up 2 months later no problem
1993 S-Limited Eunos Roadster.
flood
OC Member

Postby Bob the Train » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:24 am

liathach wrote:Best is the Ctek intelligent charger (good, but not cheap) - it recharges the battery and then goes on to trickle charge without harming the battery. Aldi/Lidl occasionally have similar chargers but you never know when they will be in stock. I think Aldi had one just after New Year so it is Lidl's turn now!

Just beware that the CTEK won't start charging if the battery is below a certain level of charge. At least mine doesn't, maybe the newer ones do.
Bob the Train
OC Member
Bob McNair
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby drumtochty » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:57 pm

Yes in that case you need a normal charger to bring it to vver 6 volts and then go back to the smart charger.

Do not use the normal charger with the battery still connected to the car.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red Sold
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby iain cooper » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:57 am

went for a Ctec CT5 time to go charger, will post feedback on performance, etc

Iain
iain cooper

Postby iain cooper » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:49 pm

used it today, easy to operate/connect and performed very well.

hard wired it onto the battery using leads supplied as I don't use her much and a booster charge on a regular basis will help the battery.

Iain
iain cooper

Postby liathach » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:30 pm

I'm sure you won't regret it Iain.
Liathach
liathach
OC Member
Malcolm Lamont

Postby mgrays » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:04 am

Lidl had them about 3 weeks ago - I have 2. They charge and trickle and I now use mine as my main charger after finding my 25 year old Draper transformer type charger gives out 16.3V!!! :shock:

Lidl/Aldi unit is good but if the power goes off they turn off as you have to select 6V or 12V. For a long term trickle charger that is not clever - lost a battery to this (it is 7 miles from my house so not often there).

I have a couple of Airflow trickle chargers which are about 12 years old. They are perfect but at the time were pricey (£48-52 then); couple on fleabay for £15 right now . Similar to Ctek but simple diodes to show charge/power is easy and effective. I drove over one with a big 4x4 and it survived with a cracked casing so good tool. I have wired in plug in points on flying leads at the dash so the charger can sit on the driver's seat so you do not forget them.. the Airflow ones have a clip to hang them on a cracked open window but that is because they are part of the Cocoon type car storage system (I have not gone that far .. well I have a 7 car sized shed that is insulated and sealed with a dehumidifier for my Dubai expedition)

If you have an old transformer type battery then I would check the voltage next time as they should be giving out 13.8-14.4V and if they are up at 16.5V without a battery they will probably kill batteries - my glassfibre MX5 battery was killed, the small RAV4 battery was swollen and killed. It has swollen an 063 battery I have for wee JCB but I suspect old/larger batteries will survive fine for short bursts hence they sold them many moons ago.

2 weeks to flat sounds like you have too much "dark current" i.e. power pulled when car is standing. Probably the aftermarket alarms as they often pull 28mA to start with and then settle to 20mA whereas a good system/car should be more like 12mA. I think a Mk1 takes about 8mA from memory. My aftermarket alarm would last about 20 days so 14 days is short but not unlikely. Otherwise it is telling you the battery is getting old .. you can tell on cold mornings if it sounds too sluggish or get it tested for free at some motor factors with a Current test.
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby iain cooper » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:20 am

thanks for the replies and comments.

the problem is I'm just not using it enough to keep the battery topped up, hopefully the Ctec will prove to be useful.

I also have a 1987 Golf GTI in the garage which I have had from new, and just needs a bit of commissioning to put back on the road, so the Ctec will be used on it as well.

Iain
iain cooper

Postby plumber » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:42 pm

Last year Having left my door ajar with the interior light switched on I drained my battery. Despite several attempts to over-ride it the Aldi smart charger seemed to think it was a motorbike battery and wouldn’t go beyond 6v. I had to take the battery to a local garage who put it on rapid charge and an hour later it was fine. The charger is obviously not quite smart enough!
plumber

Postby drumtochty » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:44 am

When the battery goes below 6Volts they get confused and taking it to say 8 volts with a normal charger will then let the "Smart Charger" get on with it's job.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red Sold
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to Technical