centra^w rust belt newb

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

centra^w rust belt newb

Postby caitlin » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:43 pm

Hello,

I'm caitlin
I've got a recently turbo'd, slightly ratty, partially rusting, mariner blue mk1 eunos import.
I stay in Falkirk. I see a few mx5s around the place but don't know who anyone is, or if any of them are club cars.
I'm planning to join the club, but haven't actually done so yet.
I need to get my car serviced, the ecu mapped out and then I'll be free to explore northwards so long as I can keep an MOT on the thing!
90(?) mariner blue eunos 1.6, td04, rust.
caitlin

Re: centra^w rust belt newb

Postby drumtochty » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:05 pm

Robin should be along soon, he lives in Falkirk!
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red Sold
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:02 pm

drumtochty wrote:Robin should be along soon, he lives in Falkirk!

Who?
Oh...him.
Hold on...that's me. :shock:
PM me for a coffee at Teresa's Snack bar (oppo St Mungo's High) Caitlin whenever it suits us both.
Always interesting to poke around someone else's Mariner.
Without a screw-driver.
Fret not. :wink:
There will always be an imbecile you never bargained on within slapping distance.
You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public
OldSpice

Postby caitlin » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:09 pm

OldSpice wrote:
drumtochty wrote:Robin should be along soon, he lives in Falkirk!

Who?
Oh...him.
Hold on...that's me. :shock:
PM me for a coffee at Teresa's Snack bar (oppo St Mungo's High) Caitlin whenever it suits us both.
Always interesting to poke around someone else's Mariner.
Without a screw-driver.
Fret not. :wink:

Will do! Not very drivable atm because it turns out you need 2 bottle of oil for a gearbox, not one like I apparently thought. Something to do with 'numbers' in some way.
I fear I am your sig.
caitlin

Postby OldSpice » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:15 pm

Well, I can nip along to yours if you prefer.
Drain & refill of the 'box is pretty easy,plus you need to top up the turret if you don't already know.
Tons of Googley stuff about it.
I've a '93 Mk1 myself and a 2002 Sport so any tips (given my limited mechanical knowledge but based on fiddling around with the pair of them for short while.... 15 years!.... I'd be happy to pass on.
There will always be an imbecile you never bargained on within slapping distance.
OldSpice

Postby caitlin » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:53 pm

OldSpice wrote:Well, I can nip along to yours if you prefer.
Drain & refill of the 'box is pretty easy,plus you need to top up the turret if you don't already know.
Tons of Googley stuff about it.
I've a '93 Mk1 myself and a 2002 Sport so any tips (given my limited mechanical knowledge but based on fiddling around with the pair of them for short while.... 15 years!.... I'd be happy to pass on.

That's very generous of you. The turret's been done, in the hope it would make second work better from cold, but obviously not, why would it?
I'm working my way through fluids before taking it to a dyno so there's less chance of it lunching on the first run. Just half a gearbox (oil due on the 13th) and the diff to do...
caitlin

Postby drumtochty » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:31 pm

The problem is you are using the normal 1 litre squeeze bottles is that you cannot get the full amount of oil out of them unles you have a long tube say 2 mtrest long and pour the oil in from the engine compartment.

Two things to do here to possibly make the change better.

1) Replace the clutch slave cylinder, they are inexpensive and after some years time they go soft and you do not get the full travel on them to operate the clutch.

2) Use Castol Syntrans Multivehicle not any other Castol gear oil or Redline MT90 as they are better at a start up due to there lower temperatue properties.

Tube here say 15mm ID and 2 mtrs lenght

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PVC-Tube-Cle ... rk:18:pf:0
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby caitlin » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:46 pm

Hmm that's interesting about the secondary cylinder. The primary is a *touch* leaky, but no so much that the level needs topped up ever, just a wee slimey bit in the footwell. I have a spare top one in the garage, but if I was to change it, changing both at the same time would save on bleeding hassles.
I got the vast vast majority of the oil out of my bottle by using a coiled up hose in it attached to my soap dispenser pump. The REAL problem was the lack of a second bottle :D
I'm inclined to pump the second one in with my old window washer pump, because it's certainly a faff from below with a hand pump. I'm a little bit shy of the risk of dumping half a bottle of VERY STINKY oil over my carpet if I try from the top side with the turret completely removed (which I don't need to do again, since the oil is already changed in it :/)
I'm a bit overcommitted to my MT90 at this point as well, but perhaps next service I'll try your castrol with a wider temp range.
caitlin

Postby drumtochty » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:16 pm

Both MT90 and Syntrans Multivehicle have the same low temperature properties so they are both good in an MX5.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby chillax » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:16 am

:D welcome to the club! Sounds like you picked up a fun 5 with the turbo. The thing with these cars is they always need fettling, but the good news is they are quite simple to work on so most stuff you can do yourself.
I was in Falkirk about a week ago in my red MK1, meeting up with Robin. The man knows his stuff when it comes to the mx5, so you'll get plenty of good advice, and his MK2 is stunning!
Enjoy the site, and enjoy your mx5 8)
chillax

Postby caitlin » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:44 pm

chillax wrote::D welcome to the club! Sounds like you picked up a fun 5 with the turbo. The thing with these cars is they always need fettling, but the good news is they are quite simple to work on so most stuff you can do yourself.
I was in Falkirk about a week ago in my red MK1, meeting up with Robin. The man knows his stuff when it comes to the mx5, so you'll get plenty of good advice, and his MK2 is stunning!
Enjoy the site, and enjoy your mx5 8)

I stuck the turbo in myself, so I'm finding out how easy and hard the fettling is. Redoing the sills is the next really scary bit to do.
It's nice to know there are people around and about I might run into soon.
caitlin

Postby chillax » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:31 pm

The members are all friendly and helpful so you'll never be stuck for info and help in here. Fair play to fitting the turbo yourself, a job that's a bit beyond me I think! :lol: would be good to get a wee meet going, although think most 5's will be tucked up for the winter now. Mine isn't seeing much of the road now, but I'm reluctant to sorn her just in case we get a sunny day!
chillax

Postby OldSpice » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:30 am

chillax wrote:The members are all friendly and helpful so you'll never be stuck for info and help in here. Fair play to fitting the turbo yourself, a job that's a bit beyond me I think! :lol: would be good to get a wee meet going, although think most 5's will be tucked up for the winter now. Mine isn't seeing much of the road now, but I'm reluctant to sorn her just in case we get a sunny day!

That's a thought actually.
A gaggle of Mk1's frightening the peasants up Glencoe.
Pardon....Pheasants. :shock:
OldSpice

Postby chillax » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:30 pm

OldSpice wrote:
chillax wrote:The members are all friendly and helpful so you'll never be stuck for info and help in here. Fair play to fitting the turbo yourself, a job that's a bit beyond me I think! :lol: would be good to get a wee meet going, although think most 5's will be tucked up for the winter now. Mine isn't seeing much of the road now, but I'm reluctant to sorn her just in case we get a sunny day!

That's a thought actually.
A gaggle of Mk1's frightening the peasants up Glencoe.
Pardon....Pheasants. :shock:

:lol:
chillax

Postby caitlin » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:52 pm

I would actually rather *love* a guided tour round some nice roads and past a pub or something.
I'm a wee bit english (sorry) so I don't know my way around here at all. I usually just turn left at each fishery and right at each brewery and then turn on the satnav when it's time to go home.
caitlin

Postby OldSpice » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:29 am

[quote="caitlin"]I would actually rather *love* a guided tour round some nice roads and past a pub or something.
I'm a wee bit english (sorry) /quote]

You are....Whaaaaat? :wink:
Just as well you made it across before we start charging entrance fees at The Hard Border! :lol:
Dave, we could have some fun with this man.
Kicking off with the Duke's Pass just to warm him up a wee bit. :wink:...then the old Military Rd.
OldSpice

Postby Bob the Train » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:58 am

OldSpice wrote:Just as well you made it across before we start charging entrance fees at The Hard Border! :lol:
Kicking off with the Duke's Pass just to warm him up a wee bit. :wink:...then the old Military Rd.

I always thought Caitlin was a girl's name!
Bob the Train
OC Member
Bob McNair
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby chillax » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:40 pm

OldSpice wrote:
caitlin wrote:I would actually rather *love* a guided tour round some nice roads and past a pub or something.
I'm a wee bit english (sorry) /quote]

You are....Whaaaaat? :wink:
Just as well you made it across before we start charging entrance fees at The Hard Border! :lol:

Sounds like fun! Don't think I've been on either of those roads. Nice wee adventure!
chillax

Postby caitlin » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:13 pm

Bob the Train wrote:
OldSpice wrote:Just as well you made it across before we start charging entrance fees at The Hard Border! :lol:

I always thought Caitlin was a girl's name!

It is.

English women taking all your mx5s... I don't know :/ Actually, the car's twice imported, Japan to England and England to Scotland.... we're both definitely here to stay.
caitlin

Postby Bob the Train » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:21 pm

caitlin wrote:we're both definitely here to stay.

Good! Try the Duke's Pass - you'll love it.
Bob the Train
OC Member
Bob McNair
MX-5 OC Club Member

Next

Return to New Users