Daves Red NA MX5......aka Mindy!

Place your inspirational photos here for all to admire.

Daves Red NA MX5......aka Mindy!

Postby chillax » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:31 pm

Thought I'd copy my project topic over from the main MX5 OC forum (bear with me, taking ages to get the photos across!)
So after extensive searching, and viewing all the wrong cars, finally got our MX5 (aka Mindy!). We had only just arrived home, and I got out the car, thought oh I'll take a quick photo with my phone, turned round and my Mrs Gayle and our daughter had jumped in and promptly disappeared for a wee run! lol
I've loved these cars since the day they were launched (was at the car show in Glasgow SECC when they unveiled it) and when the cover came off and I saw this sweet little red sports car I fell in love! Said there and then I have to have one of these one day, but I was a teenager with empty pockets at the time! Roll on 29 years later and now I'm older (still with empty pockets, least i am after buying her!) and finally I've got one!! Always wanted a mk1, but did put deposit down on a mk2 in a garage around 7 years ago. Sadly my then wife (Dawn) became seriously ill so we cancelled going down to test it/buy it and just forgot about getting an MX5. Lost my wife to cancer 3 years later

Now married again, my Mrs said that I need a project! I've been a grumpy old sod lately due to pressures at work, so she decided this would give me something to take my mind away from it all. I used to restore old 70's MK3 ford Cortina's years ago and enjoyed it back then. So, the hunt was on for "Mindy"!

Original plan was to buy one that needed a full restoration, but as i don't possess any welding skills that plan changed. After a lot of good advice from members in here, we upped our budget and went to view a few more cars. Most were bodged repairs and nothing like described, until we found this one in Stirling, Scotland.

She's red (obviously), 1.6 UK car with 90K on the clock. 10 months MOT. There isn't a service history book, but all the old mots are there and receipts for various work done. The chap selling her didn't want to let her go, but was under instruction from his wife to buy a more family friendly classic car! She has had the rear sills done before, drivers side is a tidy enough job and solid (just the black paint that's not right), passenger side is still solid but repair is showing signs of rust. Engine wise, she's great! Engine sounds sweet, and pulls well in every gear. Suspension wise, she needs an overhall. Interior is basic but (now) clean and tidy. Hood is shot, but my mrs went straight onto ebay and found a brand new hood that the seller has had lying around for a couple of years for £120! result! She bought it, then we had another road trip to Aberdeen to go collect it. Hood is mint and getting fitted this weekend!

I have noticed when at speeds of 70mph upwards, she has a horrible vibration which is coming from the front. It shakes through the car, and if at lower speeds (60mph) we go over any bumps in road, it shakes up through the steering wheel which deffo isn't right. Unfortunately during the test drive there were no roads we could get her up to anything over 30 - 40mph so this only came to light on the way home. But hopefully the work i'm planning should resolve these issues.

So Plans are:

Fit the new hood
Replace all 4 shocks and springs
Replace upper/lower wishbones (they look ok, just grubby, but I want to replace all bushes so might aswell just change the whole lot.)
Replace wheels/tyres with dished BBS rims
Full service including timing belt/fan belt etc.
New front and rear brakes (rears have just had brand new calipers fitted)
Full custom interior retrim in either full leather or half leather/alcantara
Full respray, looking to go for a nice metal flake red! Will also be taking it to BorderMX5 before the paint to have both rear sills repaired professionally/correctly. Think we should be able to get through the next mot with them but not chancing it any longer than that.
Engine and engine bay fully detailed.
Accessories, such as chrome/stainless steel boot rack, new stereo (just replaced the one that was there for a Pioneer that I had lying around in the garage).

Will be a long term project, but want to fully replace as much as we can as we go along for brand new/renovated parts. End goal is to have one very mint mk1 MX5.

After cleaning her interior up to my standards, Gayle said "oh look, the suns out!" Which roughly translated means "time for a run in Mindy with the top down!" lol Got some pics when we were out.

Totally love this wee car! She's not perfect, but she's ours and makes me happy! First ever convertible I've ever owned, and loving it! Hope you all like, comments welcome.
chillax

Re: Daves Red NA MX5......aka Mindy!

Postby chillax » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:36 pm

So, out in the garage after work tonight and decided to see if the vibration was just wheels needing balanced, so my old wheels from the mini were fitted to the front of her. A workmate came down to see her tonight, and was well impressed. Took him out in her at 9pm, dark, cold but top still down lol Her on the motorway and up to 70 and slightly beyond.......... vibration gone. We'll, there is a tiny tiny bit, but hardly noticeable! Result! So happy, as I thought there may be some horrendous fault I'd missed, but looks like the wheels just need balanced, or worst case scenario maybe they're buckled. These will be swapped for tasty new rims anyways, but will get them checked for balancing so they can get refitted until new wheels are bought. The mini wheels look awful on her! Lmao. I'll get a pic taken before they come back off. Really chuffed nothing serious found, means we can enjoy her a bit more before all the big work on her starts.

Oh, and the workmate? He's just a young lad, only 21 and was his first run in a convertible! He thought it was amazing! Let him drive her back home and he was smiling ear to ear. Couldn't believe how you feel everything the car is doing, and said when we got back "I totally get it now!" Think he too now wants an MX5, although he just got himself a Skoda fabia Monte Carlo ltd edition so he may have to wait a while!! Had a shot of his car and really nice wee car too!

All is good in Mindy's world!
chillax

Postby chillax » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:38 pm

Been out in garage again tonight (just this minute finished!). Was going to swap the two front wheels back to her originals then see about getting them balanced. Mrs came into garage and reckoned the Mini Cooper wheels looked better than the 5 spoke wheels she came with. After much debate, decided to swap her remaining two wheels for the mini wheels to see how she looked. The 5 spokes are 14 inch, and the mini wheels are 15's so after fitting, have to agree with the mrs that the mini wheels look a bit better. They also have decent tyres (two fronts are almsot brand new Avons, the rears are Continential's but these need changed soon, so will stick another two Avons on there as I've found them to be really decent tyres.) So, Mindy rocking her new temp wheels......

Blanked out the "MINI" logo on the centre caps so they look better. Do think these look better being 15's, and kind resemble the early Mk1's daisy wheels. Only a temp measure until we get brand new wheels for her.

Also, a pic of the new hood Gayle got for her, which we're fitting tomorrow.

Also took a couple of the interior as I didin't have any interior shots before. Shows the Pioneer head unit I've fitted so i can plug my phone into it to play my music. Again, will be getting changed at a later date for either my Pioneer double din touch screen unit (will do the double din dash conversion) or another new Pioneer with bluetooth, usb etc. Oh, and as you can see in the pic, I've removed the ashtray from the centre console so my phone has somewhere to sit. Will probably get one of the replacement ones from MX5 City that has the cup holders.
chillax

Postby chillax » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:39 pm

Also done a bit of paint correction to the front (both wings and the bonnet) as the paint although looked fine from a few feet away, up close had a lot of fading and oxydising. Think she'd had the wing painted before (possibly been replaced?) and the paint job isn't the best. Does however look a bit better now after using G3 cutting compound and my machine buffer, then G3 paint restorer, onto Autoglym super resin polish, before finishing with a topcoat of Autoglym hi gloss polish. Will probably do the rest of the car tomorrow after fitting the roof.
chillax

Postby chillax » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:47 pm

So, today Gayle and me have been busy! Started with removing the old (and totally gubbed) hood and prepping the car ready to fit the brand new hood. After some time, the old hood was off!

Generally pretty dirty in there after carpet and hood removed. Next we inspected the drain pots (the containers where the rainwater from the drain channel collects before going out down the drain tubes.

Drivers side, really grubby, lots of crap and stuff built up there.

Passenger side not quite as bad, but still dirty

We cleaned out both sides, then the actual drain tubes themselves. Gayle found the perfect tool for cleaning out the drain channel around the bottom of the hood.....and old make up brush and the vaccum cleaner! Pose with the tool dear! That's it, perfect! lol

The tubes were surprisingly clean and clear! Hardly anything at all in them, and both appear to be perfectly clear. Next we cleaned the whole rear area. Could have left as is seeing as it can't be seen once carpet goes in, but I'm OCD about these things! Plus the black metal can be seen once hood is in place but isn't easily cleaned then so though do it now before fitting and it'll make the whole finished job look so much nicer.
Yes, I cleaned and polished it! lol We then stopped for a tea brake and to get ready for fitting the hood and putting the car back together again.

And then, all fitted, the finished result...

Pics of Gayle and me, suitably proud of our handy work.

Can't believe the difference this has made to the look and feel of the car. Really smartened her up, and no more drafts/gaffer tape/leaks. Took her for a spin afterwards as a wee reward, and to see what she was like with her 4 Mini alloys. Drove nice, and felt quite cosy inside now with the new hood. Still got some vibration through suspension, but nowehre near as bad now so that's a result. Will be getting her up on a 4 post ramp soon so I can check out the bushes/drop links/shocks/springs and anything else under there and replace whatever's needed.
chillax

Postby chillax » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:51 pm

So, got one wee fault fixed thanks to advice from member Rhino on mx5oc.co.uk. Noticed that when coming to a stop at roundabouts/junctions etc, the revs would drop right down to almost cutting out point. Initially thought there may be an air leak on the inlet side, but after using the guide to set the base idle, this has cured it. Really happy as it was a very simple fix!

Spent yesterday cleaning Mindy's Engine bay. It was pretty grubby when we bought her, and it's the one thing I hate.....a dirty engine and engine bay! Went to Halfords and bought my product of choice, Gunk. Been using it for years and have yet to find anything that gets rid of the grime as good as this. Once it was all cleaned and rinsed off, dried the engine bay then used G3 compound to restore the pain on the inner wings etc, then polished with Meguires polish. Did all the black plastics with autoglym plastic and bumper restorer. Quite chuffed with how she looks in there now, much better than before. Got a few wee cuts while trying to get into the tighter areas so will at some point remove various bits around the bay for better access then go in there again with the polish.

Hope you like my efforts lol
chillax

Postby chillax » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:00 pm

Tried to post a reply with more photos etc but keep getting an SQL error?
chillax

Postby chillax » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:02 pm

When I bought her, I removed the ashtray from the centre console as the ashtray itself was grubby and well worn. Also wanted somewhere to put my phone, and thought as I don't smoke, and with the state of it, it couldn't really be used as a wee storage compartment. Decided I hated the look of the centre console with it removed, so decided to refurb it!

Below: as it was before refurb, all rusty and 'orrible!

So, sanded it all back, rust treated the metal, and etch primed followed by respraying it in gloss black (did want satin black but didn't have any in the garage). Also removed the metal cigarette holder bit. Then decided that to stop objects sliding about/rattling, I'd trim the interior of the in material. Done it in red to match the exterior of the car. Just held in place with double sided taps so it can be removed/replaced as needs be.

The black metal now nice and shiney like new again!

Also sanded and painted the metal cig holder, and used it to stop anything small sliding to the rear of the compartment.

All done

In other news, picked up a pair of the high back Eunos seats (cloth) with the built in speakers. Don't like the current ones which have the separate headrests. Again, my Mrs Gayle is the queen of Ebay, as most pairs of seats were over £100. These were advertised for £50, but she still haggled and got them for £40! Even better, they were only a 30 min drive away, so we braved the torrential rain and stormy winds here last night to go and pick them up! We're going to have them retrimmed in black leather before fitting them. Not sure if we are going for red centre panels on the seats, or just go subtle with all black but with red stitching and possibly red piping? What's your thoughts?
chillax

Postby liathach » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:06 pm

All looking really good!
Liathach
liathach
OC Member
Malcolm Lamont

Postby chillax » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:56 pm

liathach wrote:All looking really good!

Thanks Malcolm, still got a long long way to go until she's how I want her, but will be a labour of love. 8)
chillax

Postby drumtochty » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:03 pm

Do not get your knickers in a twist about the whishbones and bushes.

The bushes are expensive and use the proper Mazda ones and they make little difference as many people have replaced them all and said "well that was a was a waste of effort".

The existing Mazda bushes last very well.

If the whishbones are not rusty around the drop link pick up points leave that for at least a year or so, just rub them down and coat with chassis black paint.
You could have called in on the way down and put it on my two posts we are 40 minutes south of Aberdeen.

i would also have used my boroscope to check the inner sills etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy your car.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red Sold
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby liathach » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:50 pm

If you are able to drop in past Drumtochty, it's well worth doing so. So much easier looking under a car when it is above head height!
Liathach
liathach
OC Member
Malcolm Lamont

Postby gm » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:39 am

You are clearly besotted, I see this as a good thing :)

Nice garage btw
gm

Postby chillax » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:50 am

drumtochty wrote:Do not get your knickers in a twist about the whishbones and bushes.

The bushes are expensive and use the proper Mazda ones and they make little difference as many people have replaced them all and said "well that was a was a waste of effort".

The existing Mazda bushes last very well.

If the whishbones are not rusty around the drop link pick up points leave that for at least a year or so, just rub them down and coat with chassis black paint.
You could have called in on the way down and put it on my two posts we are 40 minutes south of Aberdeen.

i would also have used my boroscope to check the inner sills etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy your car.

Thanks for the offer mate. We went up to collect the hood in my wife's Focus as the hood wouldn't have fitted in Mindy lol A wee road trip up to you would be good! Will deffo need to get her shocks/springs sorted before that though as she rides horribly at the moment, and there's a knock from the o/s front i need to trace too. Might give those wishbones a sand then and see how they go. They've been rather crudely plastered with some kind of underseal stuff, so don't look very pretty at all. If they're in ok shape when sanded, might just do as you say and smooth them down and repaint them, or possibly get them powder coated.

The sills had been repaired before, and although not the nicest job I've seen, they do appear to be solid. Plan is to maybe next year (funds permitting) get her booked into BordersMX5 to have them inspect the inner sills and replace the outers properly.
chillax

Postby chillax » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:03 am

gm wrote:You are clearly besotted, I see this as a good thing :)

Nice garage btw

Oh yes, deffo besotted mate! Have waited so long to get an MX5, and now so happy to have her! I did come close to buying a stunning MK2.5 back in 2011 I think it was. Car was a 51 plate, metallic blue, full leather, hardtop, one owner from new, full history and only 21K on the clock. It was a way down near Preston in a garage. That was before I knew about the chassis leg problems though, didn't really know anything about the MX5's then, just knew I wanted one! With the car being so far away, I even put a £300 deposit down on it. Sadly my then wife had become seriously ill the day before we were due to go down (later found out it was cancer), and I cancelled going down as didn't want to leave her on her own when she was ill. She got treatment and got the all clear, only for it to come back.Sadly she passed away in Jan 2013 aged just 45. I kinda gave up on the idea of the mx5 (gave up on everything to be honest) and went through a really tough time coming to terms with it. I then met my current wife (who's also a petrol head just like my first wife!) and she got me back on track and into cars again.

The garage.........took me years to get one, and finally got it built in 2014! Couldn't live without it now!! Love being able to work on the car, then if I want to finish for the day don't have to worry about clearing all the tools etc away. Every house should come with a big garage as standard! :D
chillax

Postby chillax » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:09 am

So, have started the refurb on Mindy's original 5 spoke alloys. Have got one sanded, prepped and ready for paint. To make them a bit different, have decided to respray them in white instead of the standard silver. I have a thing about white wheels! Think it goes back to the 80's when all my cars got a set of white 8 spoke weller wheels (if you were born in the 00's, ask yer dad!). My Civic VTi MB6 got a set of speedline Chrono's and I had them powder coated in white. They looked amazing, so hoping Mindy's wheels will have the same effect! Still going to buy a set of Cades alloys though, again when funds allow.
chillax

Postby OldSpice » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:39 am

Chillax,
I've actually got a mint & boxed black hood cover. By that I mean...never used and still folded.
I've no recollection why I ended up with it...as my Mk1 is BRG.
Anyway, it's nice and warm in my loft if you want it for much cheapness.
Maybe meet half way sometime...I'm only nearby....ish.

** I'm sure it's for a Mk1 not a Mk2...the studs differ so we'd need to try it...while talking lots of utter Mk1 rollox.
There will always be an imbecile you never bargained on within slapping distance.
You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public
OldSpice

Postby chillax » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:46 am

OldSpice wrote:Chillax,
I've actually got a mint & boxed black hood cover. By that I mean...never used and still folded.

** I'm sure it's for a Mk1 not a Mk2...the studs differ so we'd need to try it...while talking lots of utter Mk1 rollox.

See now I'm going to get in trouble, spending money again! Lol Sounds good mate, how much you wanting for it? Oh and where you located? Hadn't thought about hood cover before, but guess it would be a nice addition.
chillax

Postby OldSpice » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:09 am

chillax wrote:
OldSpice wrote:Chillax,

See now I'm going to get in trouble, spending money again! Lol Sounds good mate, how much you wanting for it? Oh and where you located? Hadn't thought about hood cover before, but guess it would be a nice addition.

Just 5 mins from Falkirk Wheel. Meet you in Linlithgow or summat. Any excuse for a wee drive.
Honestly no rush.
I've had it years so I'll hang on till you are ready..
Next year... whatever.
I'll keep it for you until to let me know.
£45.00 is what I paid.
Yours for the same.
Not interested in profiteering from other 5-ers TBH.
I'd forgotten about it till your lovely 5 hit the headlines! :lol:
There will always be an imbecile you never bargained on within slapping distance.
You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public
OldSpice

Postby chillax » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:59 pm

Yeah, better make the most of the few decent days we have left of this year. As John Snow always said in Gam of Thrones......"Winter's comin"! I'll let the misus know we have a wee trip to do lol. Love a drive through Falkirk way, used to work at the college there once a year (Portable appliance testing).
Thanks for the compliments on Mindy. She's decent although far from mint, but then that was the whole point of buying this one, so we can take our time and make her as mint as possible. Must get the new suspension (shocks and springs) soon though as she isn't that nice to drive at the moment (very bouncy, and lots of vibrations on even the smoothest of roads).
How long you had your BRG?

Dave
chillax

Next

Return to Photo Gallery