ND RF Battery Drain.

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

ND RF Battery Drain.

Postby Enjay » Sat May 12, 2018 12:24 am

This has been discussed in a few threads on the national forum but I thought that it was worth reporting here too just in case it helps someone.

Short version: If you have an RF, had cruise control active and not disengaged the system when you parked and then left your car for a couple of weeks, you could come back to a completely flat battery.

This pistonheads thread has a lot of information:
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... &t=1710223

Anyway, I experienced the problem about a month or so after taking ownership of my RF. At the time, I got a bit of a fob-off answer from Arnold Clark. "The car has been in the showroom and had a bit of a start-stop life so maybe the battery hasn't had a chance to fully charge" (I'd driven it to Glasgow and back by this time BTW) and "the battery is quite small and modern cars are very technical so they are likely to discharge more quickly than older cars". Ahem!

Anyway, as noted in the above linked thread, Mazda acknowledged the problem in a worldwide service bulleting back in December:

Service Bulletin R087/17 published on December 26, 2017 from Mazda HQ “ RF Engine will not start due to Battery being discharged ”

Pretty sure this is a copy of it:

https://www.miata.net/garage/tsb/RF%20E ... harged.pdf

Since then, it appears a software fix has been released, some UK drivers have had it applied to their cars and it seems to work. My car is going in for a service next week so I'll ask about the fix and I'll report back what happens.

I *think* the dates of affected models are from introduction to about May of last year. My car certainly falls into that timespan.
Enjay

Return to Technical