Newcomer

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

Newcomer

Postby gavb » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:03 pm

Hi all,

Just joined the forums for now. Thinking of buying a mk2 and looking for some advice.

I've seen s mk3 but it's probably out of my price range.

Need to convince my wife that I am having a mid life crisis!

Also slightly worried about insurance as I've been and still am a company car driver. This will be for weekends and evenings.

Thanks for any advice.
Thanks,
Gavin

(Living in Stepps, but work a lot in Edinburgh. Currently considering mk2 as I have had an itch for a 2 seater sports car for a while)
gavb

Re: Newcomer

Postby DrewN » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:19 pm

Hi gavb,

Welcome to the forum.

Don't worry about mid life crisis - those of us of a certain age and above have all been there.

Body condition is the most important area, followed by mechanicals.
Mk2s suffer from rust more than Mk1s and Mk3s - cills, wings, and especially front chassis rails.
If you find a good one (and they are still around) then you will probably pay top money and could buy a Mk3 for similar or less.
Make sure you check body condition thoroughly.
Read forum articles on this website and also the national website https://www.mx5oc.co.uk for further information on buying tips and condition.

Re insurance, you should be able to get a copy of your driving record from your company car insurer to pass to the MX-5 insurer to claim any NCD.

If you get the go ahead from your better half, good luck with your search.
Drew Ness
Central Scotland Area Co-ordinator
3.75 Sport Graphite Coupe
DrewN
OC Member
Drew Ness
Central Scotland Coordinator

Postby drumtochty » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:26 am

Gavb where are you based if you could put that in your signature line that would help to assist you on any further questions.

You have a lot of research to do as advised by Drew.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby gavb » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:21 am

Hi Drumtochty,
I live in Stepps. Thanks for pointing this out.
Any thoughts on this mk2 for sale?:-
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... 0140292608
Last edited by gavb on Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,
Gavin

(Living in Stepps, but work a lot in Edinburgh. Currently considering mk2 as I have had an itch for a 2 seater sports car for a while)
gavb

Postby OldSpice » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:51 am

gavb wrote:Hi Drumtochty,
I live in Stepps. Thanks for pointing this out.
Any thoughts on this mk3 for sale?:-
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified ... 0140292608

Gavin, that looks a really clean example of what is, in my opinion, the best Mk2 ( Mk2.5) ever produced. Certainly came with the best quality interiors....bordering on VAG quality.
Low miles, retaining the original alloys which are quite rare now. Good colour too.
What you MUST do is bone up online about these cars' "hidden rot" issues concerning the front chassis rails, and the pesky double skinned nature of the rear arches & ...sometimes...poorly drained rear sills from the door shut-line backwards. Apart from that, just apply the usual caveats of buying an old car.
Good solid ones are out there and this may well be one of them.
Best to work on the assumption there will likely be some progressive crud somewhere until proved innocent.
Just being a matter of degree. There's lots of online buying advice, so that's up to you.
At the end of the day, you could end up with a peach example of the "top of the range" Mk2.5 for sweetie money..so good luck with it.
That year did come with a weak LSD as well...so ask the owner about that.
Mine, a 2002 car, had a different diff...bullet proof.

Edit.
Drew, apologies...had not had my coffee and missed your good advive. At least our thoughts dovetailed well! :oops:
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby gavb » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:45 am

Thanks Oldspice. I have had a few email exchanges with him and he claims it's s good car. My only worry is that he's selling it before MOT is due in Feb and has only had it for 9 months. Maybe worth a look.
Thanks again.
Thanks,
Gavin

gavb

Postby OldSpice » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:58 am

MOT?
Which of course Gavin if it passes your glassy eye, is a great price room-wriggler.
Forgot to mention...given it's miles..the BIGGY is....proof of cambelt change..and preferably water pump.
There goes £250/300 right away. He may say...I've adjusted the price to take it into account.
I'm quite certain you will have a few comebacks ready! :wink:
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby drumtochty » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:28 am

Sorry Gavb,

Unless you are good at getting under cars and inspecting them and you do your research as has been said to you by three people already, this could well be a car with a clean top and a rusty underneath.

Either you if you have the knowhow or someone that does must inspect it underneath. A few emails between people does not get round that fact.

OldSpice has spent around £4k rebuilding his 2003 car and will be spending at least that rebuilding his Mk1 MX5.

Sorry to sound like a broken record but the car is either clean all over or rotten underneath and no amount of messaging on a forum or email chats gets round that.

You have to get down and dirty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby IanH » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:57 am

gavb wrote:Thanks Oldspice. I have had a few email exchanges with him and he claims it's s good car. My only worry is that he's selling it before MOT is due in Feb and has only had it for 9 months. Maybe worth a look.
Thanks again.

Alarm bells are ringing in my head (maybe that's my age...), had it less than a year and selling before the MOT is due may mean nothing, as others have pointed out though I'd want it up on a ramp and a good poke around the undersides before committing to anything. If you don't have facilities yourself maybe pay someone (RAC/AA whoever), a couple of hundred now can prevent a few thousand later.
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby OldSpice » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:00 pm

I was thinking nipping through to Stepps, Eddie, and going with Gavin to see the thing if he felt the need.
There's a fine line between interfering, and helping out.
Gavin, Eddie is right.
I did not want to go into it too deeply but I'm known to some as the Grim Reaper of 5 Rot..and for good reason I guess.
OldSpice

Postby drumtochty » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:23 pm

Gav

Take the assistance offered by Robin!
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby gavb » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:38 pm

Guys,
Much appreciate the assistance and the offer to go with me to see it. I may just take you up on that!
However, I am away this weekend and still got to convince 'er indoors, so wish me luck!
Thanks,
Gavin

gavb

Postby IanH » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:44 pm

OldSpice wrote:I was thinking nipping through to Stepps, Eddie, and going with Gavin to see the thing if he felt the need.
Gavin, Eddie is right.
I did not want to go into it too deeply but I'm known to some as the Grim Reaper of 5 Rot..and for good reason I guess.

and that's one of the milder things.... :wink:
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby OldSpice » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:48 pm

IanH wrote:
OldSpice wrote:I was thinking nipping through to Stepps, Eddie, and going with Gavin to see the thing if he felt the need.
Gavin, Eddie is right.

and that's one of the milder things.... :wink:

Lol!
I'm still standing Ian. :wink:
"Others"...have run for cover :lol:
OldSpice

Return to New Users