My ND RF

Place your inspirational photos here for all to admire.

My ND RF

Postby Enjay » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:21 pm

I went outside today and took some pictures. :)

Enjay

Re: My ND RF

Postby IanH » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:42 pm

:D
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby OldSpice » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:10 am

Well, I'm smitten.
In a good way, it reminds me so much of these.
https://www.carthrottle.com/wp-content/ ... 80x401.png
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby Enjay » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:03 pm

OldSpice wrote:it reminds me so much of these.

I have never seen one of those before. Were they official Mazda cars or is it an after market kit/hardtop?

I have always really liked the look of fastback cars. I had a Mk1 Capri for about 20 years and that probably qualifies.
And who doesn't like the e-type Jag or the Ferrari 250 GTO which are sort of fast-back-ish in profile (e-type Coupe rather than convertible version, of course).

The look of the MX5 RF is fantastic IMO. I know that the front end of the ND is quite a departure from the traditional 1960s Lotus Elan inspired look which has been there, more or less, since the start (and which I love) but I think it looks great and still shows enough lineage to the previous models to be identifiable as a 5. The rear, however, just looks amazing IMO. I know it won't be everyone's taste and many will prefer the more fully open soft top but the fastback conjures up feelings of some of the cars that I've liked for a very long time. [Plus, the raising/lowering action is like something out of a transformers movie.]

The look of the RF reminds me a little of the Opel GT (I've only ever seen a few of them - I don't think they were ever available in the UK, or even in RHD, but I have always really liked them)

perhaps a tiny, tiny little bit of the Datsun 260z

and dare I even suggest a mid 1970s Corvette Stingray?
Enjay

Postby OldSpice » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:33 pm

Re my post:
Only 179 factory handbuilt by Mazda craftsmen between 2002/3.
Variations from 1.6 to 1840cc "Sport" with Billies, LSD etc. Autos as well.
Even the doors were modified..they are marginally longer to joggle up properly to hand fettled rear wings.
Very rare ,very pricey if you come across one.
Sadly, a few were stripped for competition given the solid shell properties, and I've seen one scrapped after it got rear end/quarter sided.J
Just too expensive to fix.
You really would not to get rear pranged.
Good night Sooty ££££. :shock:
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby Enjay » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:36 pm

Interesting. It sounds like quite a lot of effort to put out a small production run. Very nice though. I hope to see one in the flesh some day.
Enjay

Postby Scotty Dugg » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:58 am

Looks great, I'm a huge fan of the RF, not sure why they got so much negative feedback on the looks from the press. Mini F-Type-esque!
Scotty Dugg

Postby IanH » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:00 am

It looks very good.... with the lid closed :lol:
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Return to Photo Gallery