Visitor on NC500 from Wales

Introduce yourself to the MX5Scotland community here.
Please read the "Sticky" post in this section before posting.

Visitor on NC500 from Wales

Postby mramsden » Wed May 31, 2017 2:09 pm

Hi
I'm Mark Ramsden.

My wife and I are planning to do the NC500 starting 5th June in Inverness in our new MX5. We did a pilgrimage to Rome in it 2 years ago when we got it (straight off the boat) and got 2 punctures on the way. Rather concerned about not having spare tyre in highlands and coast road. Any good people to contact along the way in case of difficulty?

Many Thanks
mramsden

Re: Visitor on NC500 from Wales

Postby OldSpice » Wed May 31, 2017 4:43 pm

AA & RAC.
In the wilds nobody can hear you scream! Because.....I'd check with your mobile provider regarding no-signal black spots.
They likely have an online coverage map.
My O2 goes dead at Tyndrum & and odd pockets around Lomond Shores for example.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby drumtochty » Wed May 31, 2017 7:50 pm

Lots of cars these days with no spare tyre.

What's the difference on the NC500.

If you have a puncture you have to call the recovery service and wait a good bit longer up there as the mobile signal will be patchy.

Lot's of people doing it including lots of bikes that do not carry spare tyres.

just part of the adventure.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby salmo-n » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:42 am

The Central Area has been up in the wilds to the west several times over the years and 2 members have encountered punctures due to side wall damage - protruding stones from grass verges. Subscription to a Rescue service is best route as in the end if you can't DIY repair it with plugs and goo, you are stuck and even if you can, you are on a get me to a repairer mode, and there are not a lot around.
You are reliant on the mobile to call or it could be a walk to the nearest house! Research your route for what is available for peace of mind. Roads are pretty well surfaced but the occasional pot hole/rock can always catch the wary out. But you can't beat the scenery if you get the weather, so do the preps beforehand and enjoy the roads... you'll not find much better suited to these cars. Check out The Central region area for past runs at Easter - plenty of photos of enjoyment!! :D
salmo-n
OC Member
Raymond Collett
Central Scotland Coordinator

Return to New Users