Time for a mk3?

Chat about MX-5s, the life and the universe.

Time for a mk3?

Postby pablo » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:25 pm

Well it's been a few years since I've had an mx5. Had three in the past, all mk1's and all with different positives and negatives. I've had a few other 'classics' in the garage since but now there is a car sized space just waiting to be filled.

I'm only planning on using whatever I get for sunny days so I have between now and next summer to find something so no rush unless a suitable car materialises quickly. My thoughts are BMW E30 convertible; BMW Z4 3.0; Porsche Boxster 2.7 or 3.2S and finally Mazda MX5 mk3. Budget isn't going to be huge for something that isn't getting used much as that way the Mrs won't have a fit :roll:

I'm ruling out the mk2 due to the well documented rusting problems. I'm hoping the mk3 fairs better in this regard? Also any other issues that are common on these? Thoughts and advice most welcome.
(1) Eunos V-spec type II - SOLD to forum member 'OldSpice'
(2) Eunos '89 standard spec - Passed on to my father in his 70's. Loved driving that car!
(3) MX5 mk1 1.6 with turbo conversion SOLD
(4) Eunos G-Ltd. Original and keeping it that way
pablo

Re: Time for a mk3?

Postby OldSpice » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:43 pm

Hi there.
I've still got "your" BRG Pablo. :lol:
It's been a busy wee car on a variety of levels over the years, but it's a keeper still.
For a small fee, you can take the tiller, and perhaps decide that they were not so bad after all. :wink:
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby drumtochty » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:30 pm

Mazda apply stone chip to areas underneath the car that may be suffer wear but only that and do not apply underseal according to Mazda UK.

I have seen some 2006 MK3's and that is I guess the year you will be looking for to keep costs down getting well rusty underneath.

Therefore if the car has stayed in Scotland and has been used regularly you will have to spend at least £500 to repair the rust damage and underseal the car if you want to keep it say 3 or 4 years.

If the rear wheel arches are starting to go let's call it £750.

Do not waste your time getting waxoil sprayed over a rusty underside by a mate of a mate for £150.

The Mk3 also has the possibility of using more than expected oil if it is run at high revs and you only know about it when the bottom end gets noisy.

Therefore any car you look at check the oil level.

So apart from rust underneath, using oil and getting the scuttle grommets sealed a DIY job you should not have too many problems.

Look for a car that has not been used between November and March every winter not a car that has been used as a daily driver.

Or better still buy a car from the south of England.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby pablo » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:04 pm

OldSpice wrote:Hi there.
I've still got "your" BRG Pablo. :lol:
It's been a busy wee car on a variety of levels over the years, but it's a keeper still.
For a small fee, you can take the tiller, and perhaps decide that they were not so bad after all. :wink:

That's great news that you still have it. The mk1's are getting a rarer sight on the roads as every year goes by so you're right to keep it. I prefer the look of the mk3 over the mk2 however I'm sure you've addressed all the rust issues etc of yours.
(2) Eunos '89 standard spec - Passed on to my father in his 70's. Loved driving that car!
pablo

Postby pablo » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:07 pm

drumtochty wrote:
Therefore if the car has stayed in Scotland and has been used regularly you will have to spend at least £500 to repair the rust damage and underseal the car if you want to keep it say 3 or 4 years.

Look for a car that has not been used between November and March every winter not a car that has been used as a daily driver.

Or better still buy a car from the south of England.

Some good advice there !
pablo

Postby Scott_J » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:25 pm

I bought a 57 with 70,000 miles 13 months ago. One lady owner FSH from Worcester. I've tried very hard to find rust and can't find any, looks almost new underneath. Guess no salty roads that far south. I'm now paranoid about using it through a Scottish winter with all the tales I hear.

Dromtochty, As I plan to keep for another 2-3 years , maybe longer should I be going for Dinitrol then. There is a place in Johnston 15 miles away that do it.
Scott_J

Postby drumtochty » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:07 pm

Yes, just get it done!
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby pablo » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:19 pm

Scott_J wrote:I bought a 57 with 70,000 miles 13 months ago. One lady owner FSH from Worcester. I've tried very hard to find rust and can't find any, looks almost new underneath. Guess no salty roads that far south.

Scott where did you source your car from? Auto trader, Gumtree, Pistonheads, a Forum or the dreaded EBay? :roll:
pablo

Postby Scott_J » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:17 am

Pablo, I traded for my Lotus Elan at Scottish Motor Services. Must have went through the trade as I contacted the original owner and she had traded it at Macklin Motors Mazda for an ex demo mk3. The reg prefix AK57 was a clue it was a southern car, Scottish cars all starting with Sx ,
Scott_J

Postby drumtochty » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:59 am

Agreed a down south car that probably has not been used in the winter.

I bought my Mk3 from Cornwall at 4.5 years old and 11.5K miles and it was clean underneath.

Then I spent £350, if I remember on, remove all covers underneath, pressure wash and any minor touch up needed followed by application of the black stuff at the local garage.

See pictures here.

http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/auche ... eal?sort=3

Now that I have my own lift doing a few members Mk4's with the goo.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby pablo » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:56 pm

I have a pit in my garage so getting underneath to apply the anti-rust treatment will be easy enough. The hard part is finding a reasonable mileage car from down south at the right price :?
Last edited by pablo on Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pablo

Postby drumtochty » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:30 pm

If price is king just buy a cheapish one and sell it after eighteen months or two years that will be the way to go just before the rust shows through.

If it is not a keeper do not waste your time undersealing it.

What I would do is pay say £1,000 to £1,500 more to get let's say a 15k mile 07 car from down south. You have to pay for that lack of use.

Most people will go on about MX5's being bullet proof and buy say a 60k mile car for a good bit less than I would pay but the rust will be a bit more advanced.

Your choice but decide what you want and what you are prepared to pay and how long you want to keep it.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby DTB » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:59 pm

Pablo, if you're after a decent mk3 from down sarff, it might be worth giving Paul Roddison a call http://www.mx5-racing.co.uk/. He has a very good reputation.
DTB

Postby drumtochty » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:53 pm

That would save doing a long trip to find the car is not as described.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby pablo » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:16 pm

DTB wrote:Pablo, if you're after a decent mk3 from down sarff, it might be worth giving Paul Roddison a call http://www.mx5-racing.co.uk/. He has a very good reputation.

I noticed this one - leggy on the miles but has the above named mentioned for a replacement engine and it has a new clutch apparently :?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-MX5-2-0 ... 419dbfeefa
pablo

Postby DTB » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:43 pm

A replacement engine isn't anything to worry about & a new clutch is a good thing and if they were fitted by Rodders it will have been a job well done.

However there are enough tidy examples out there that you don't need to compromise on the cosmetics unless it is something that really won't bother you, and the same goes for mileage. If, as recommended, you are going to underseal your mk3 then you are presumably looking at long term ownership. That being the case then ideally you would want something which is in nice condition to start with. But ultimately only you know what you are looking for, what your budget is, and whether you want to buy from a recommended source or play the field.
DTB

Postby CaptainNorth » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:46 pm

If you want outright acceleration I think the NC in standard tune may seem underpowered but should be cost effective to run, is a car with nothing to prove and to my eye they look good and it will be reliable. A Boxster would be the best quality car, is quick and handles well but running costs could be very high indeed and they look underwhelming. A Zed Bimmer might be good in a straight line but handling can be iffy on the twisties I hear and possibly highish maintenance; to me they are ugly! E30 is pretty different altogther; more practical but no BMW I've ever had was cheap to run. Tricky decision :-) Maybe depends on your budget for purchase and running costs?
NC1 BBR Super 200
Citroen C1 - 68HP of raw power
CaptainNorth

Postby pablo » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:26 pm

All good points CaptainNorth. From what I can gather on the other forums i.e. Boxa.net and z-4 forum then you're pretty spot on with your thoughts. My intention is for this to be a fun weekend car not a daily drive so I don't want to cripple myself with high insurance, repair or running costs. As budget goes I'm not looking to spend more than £4.5k
pablo

Postby DAN@ADRIAN FLUX » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:31 pm

Hi,
if you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Postby OldSpice » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:04 am

pablo wrote:All good points CaptainNorth. From what I can gather on the other forums i.e. Boxa.net and z-4 forum then you're pretty spot on with your thoughts. My intention is for this to be a fun weekend car not a daily drive so I don't want to cripple myself with high insurance, repair or running costs. As budget goes I'm not looking to spend more than £4.5k

That kind of spend (or less perhaps) & since it's to be a weekend fun car, will get you a first division Mk1 ( RS possibly ) import from the likes of Steve Bloxham at Goodwood Sportcars.Consider this...genuine & thoroughly fettled "solids" have pretty much ceased to depreciate, and now command premium money much as I thought they would a few years back...to some hoots of derision. :wink: We all know later marques are "better cars" on a variety of levels. Our Sport is light years ahead on many levels, but it will never hit my hot button as much as the Mk1 in the raw fun stakes.
Equally, many feel the best Mx5 will always be the Mk1. So long as it's not dissolving......
Just another ingredient in your cake mix.
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Next

Return to General Chat