How to reprogram your remote key fob

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

How to reprogram your remote key fob

Postby ben c » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:39 pm

My key fob stopped working, I did the obvious and changed the battery. Still no luck. In the end I got the key fob to work by following these simple steps. It had taken me ages to find out how to do this on the internet and to be honest it was not as clear as my instructions below. So I've posted my instructions on this good forum for the benefit of others.... (if a moderator is able to make this a sticky in the relevent place, I would appreciate it)....

1). Keep drivers door open.

2). Insert key into ignition

3). Turn the ignition on. To the point the dashboard lights up but not as far turning the ignition to the point of starting the engne.

4) Turn ignition off when red light extinguishes.

5). Turn the ignition on a second time to the point the dashboard lights up but not as far as starting the engne.

6). Turn ignition off again.

7). Turn the ignition on a third ime to the point the dashboard lights up but not as far as starting the engne.

8-). Turn the ignition off for a third time.

9). Rember keeping the drivers door open? Well, look on the car body next to the drivers seat, at hip level, for a small black button. It's near the sill. (One of the buttons functions is to turn the interior light on and off when you open the drivers door) Well, press this button.

10). Press this button again for a second time.

11). And again for a third time.

12). I think I could hear the door locks motoring at this point.

13) Press any button on your key fob.

14) Press the same key fob button again.

15). I think I heard more door lock noises.

16) Key fob reprogramming? ..... Done.
ben c

Postby skinnydoug » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:52 pm

I suspect there are a multitude of aftermarket locking and alarm systems fitted to various members cars.

It reads a lot like the instructions I found that worked with the factory system on my 2003 MK2.5 with a 3 button remote (lock, unlock and boot release) however. Is that what it's for?

Douglas
Skinnydoug - "Enthusiastic amatuer"
skinnydoug

Postby potuks » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:02 am

Yeah, the above instruction are the visteon remotes that have three buttons (model 41703). I think i have the actual instructions from mazda in a pdf somewhere if anyone is interested.
potuks

Re: How to reprogram your remote key fob

Postby CarolB » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:30 pm

Just bumping an old post to show my appreciation to ben c for posting the re-programming instructions for the key fob for a mk 2.5 - they still work! :D
2005 Mk 2.5 1.8 Sport in Radiant Ebony
CarolB
OC Member
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby elen1269 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:07 pm

Hi,
I am frantically searching online for some help and came across your post!! My alarm system appears to not be activating when i lock (the hazard lights dont flash anymore when i lock and unlock the car).
Although my key fob works fine (it is a Visteon 41703) in terms of locking and unlocking the car i was wondering if reprogramming it would sort out the alarm system?? I have spoken to my main Mazda dealer and they are wanting to charge me £75 to bring my car in for them to look at.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have M2.5 04 plate

elen1269
elen1269

Postby drumtochty » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Elen

First thing is to change the battery in the remote.

Then see what happens.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby elen1269 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:55 pm

After all the panic.............it was only a fuse!!! And if i'd gone to Mazda as suggested by them it would have been a £75 fuse! Ouch.....
And the cherry on the top was that my local garage where i go for its service/mot etc never even charged me ...one happy Mazda owner again :D
elen1269

Postby Blonde Whizz » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:26 pm

Hi,

I just want to say a big thanks to Ben C, I got my fob working again after following the instructions given here.

Blonde Whizz
2001 MX5 1.8 S-VT SPORT (black)
Blonde Whizz

Postby MX5Pilot » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:15 pm

Does this work on the MK3 guys? My key's have been tempermental for sometime and aside from paying £300 notes for a new one, I'm thinking of buying a couple of second hand button fobs, and putting my existing keys in them. I asume they would then need re-programmed using the method above?
MX5Pilot

Postby gew333 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:11 pm

That worked perfectly in my NC.. Thank you very much Ben c..
gew333

Postby Quixeh » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:19 am

Also worth noting, as this is the top thread on Google for the issue, that if you're trying to program two remotes press different buttons on the fobs during programming (eg on fob 1 use unlock, and fob 2 use lock) otherwise they kick each other off.
Quixeh

Postby Charlie Saint » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:33 pm

Hiyah - new poster - and sorry: I'm English!

I just got an NC - and it's brilliant, except for the fact that the alarm kept going off. I worked out that this was only happening when I used the 'spare key' as it was given to me.

A couple of things: I had to change the battery in this key to get it to work at all. Once I had done this, it seemed to work fine - apart from the alarm going off for no reason.
The previous owner was in the habit of disconnecting the battery when the car was not in use, for some reason.

Will the programming method shown upthread sort this out, would you think?

Thanks.
Charlie Saint

Postby Charlie Saint » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:45 am

How do... it's me again.

It's kind of related to keys/alarms.

The day after I first got my NC (last June), I unlocked the car, got in, started it up - and this 'peep-peep-peep' noise started up - apparently from the speakers above the central cubby hole. It got louder and louder. I clicked the key fob. Opened and closed the doors... boot... bonnet... stopped the engine... started the engine... the noise stopped. Then it started again. I rang the previous owner who had never heard the noise before. Then the noise stopped. Then it never did it again.

Until this morning. I got to work, parked the car, locked it - and then the noise started.

It didn't stop (except for a few intervals of 10 seconds) until I got it round the corner to my friendly local garage.

Any clues?
Charlie Saint

Postby drumtochty » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:49 pm

Soft top or electric folding hardtop.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member