Sill Rust Repair - Aberdeenshire

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Sill Rust Repair - Aberdeenshire

Postby Scotty Dugg » Thu May 18, 2017 1:23 pm

Hi All,

Looking for a recommendation on where to take a mk1 for sill repair in the Aberdeenshire area?

Just drivers side, towards the rear only, no pictures of the rust at this stage.

May not be possible, but if there's an idea of rough cost (with paint or without) that's ideal thanks.

Cheers,

Scott
Scotty Dugg

Re: Sill Rust Repair - Aberdeenshire

Postby drumtochty » Thu May 18, 2017 4:25 pm

If it is just the rear sill section say £200 to repair and spray maybe a bit less expensive on a good day. If the inner sills are gone and need some surgery say £250.

Prices are all over the place and quite a few bodyshops do not want to know as they can go again and they get blamed for poor Mazda design.

If it is the rear arches as well around £500 or more to do it so it does not go again.

I know someone getting that done at Barry Cooper out here in Fordoun and he will cut, weld and fill but not paint as they are a bit short of money . I will ask them the costs.

Make sure when it is done the outer sill sections they use have drain holes and that they drill and blow in cavity wax as done here.

I maybe would go on to ebay and buy them as they may make up sections without drain holes.

http://www.mazdamenders.net/forum/viewt ... =37&t=1324
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: Sill Rust Repair - Aberdeenshire

Postby Scotty Dugg » Thu May 18, 2017 8:08 pm

drumtochty wrote:If it is just the rear sill section say £200 to repair and spray maybe a bit less expensive on a good day. If the inner sills are gone and need some surgery say £250.

Prices are all over the place and quite a few bodyshops do not want to know as they can go again and they get blamed for poor Mazda design.

If it is the rear arches as well around £500 or more to do it so it does not go again.

I know someone getting that done at Barry Cooper out here in Fordoun and he will cut, weld and fill but not paint as they are a bit short of money . I will ask them the costs.

Make sure when it is done the outer sill sections they use have drain holes and that they drill and blow in cavity wax as done here.

I maybe would go on to ebay and buy them as they may make up sections without drain holes.

http://www.mazdamenders.net/forum/viewt ... =37&t=1324

Thanks drumtochty, ideally go somewhere that has a decent recommendation. Thanks for the link, I'll be sure to do that to both sills.
Scotty Dugg

Return to Technical