Droning Noise from rear

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Droning Noise from rear

Postby dougaberdeen » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:32 pm

After chaps, just wondering if anyone can offer some advice re the above, car is a mk3 1.8 60k miles

I have a droning sound which seems to be coming from the rear of the car which gets louder with speed

the sound appears to be purely speed related as it does it with the car either in or out of gear

it doesn't appear to change at all when turning left or right so don't know whether that rules out wheel bearings or not, I jacked it up the other week and there doesn't appear to be any play in the wheels at all

car hasn't had new tyres or anything recently and the tyres have loads of tread left on them and it hasn't been dunted off a kerb or anything like that

the diff oil was changed about 6k ago, checked that as well and its full and clear

anyone any ideas what it could be or any further checks I could do before letting a garage have a look at it, its not horrendous but mildly irritating as the car was quiet before

lastly I have left the wife out the car so no droning is coming from there lol

cheers
dougaberdeen

Re: Droning Noise from rear

Postby drumtochty » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:34 pm

There are cases of the Mk3 with noisy diffs caused by the manufactuer not removing grinding paste during diff setup and manufactuer.

Some Mk3 drive trains are just loader than others.

You could remove the rear disc pads and check for rubbing or siezed pads or the backlate getting corroded and rubbing against the disc.

Long shot would be a rear wheel bearing, they tend to go around 70k miles or so.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby dougaberdeen » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:10 pm

Cheers Eddie, will have a look at the discs and the backing plates although it sounds more like a drone than a rubbing noise, hoping its maybe a wheel bearing as I don't fancy having to replace the diff
dougaberdeen

Postby softmc » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:30 am

Hi

My 2006 1.8 MX5 has done 60k and I have noticed a drone noise that is more noticable with the roof up cant hear it with the roof down my first instinct was the rear o/s wheel bearing as I have had wheel bearings go in the past(not this car) SORNED just now so will will be doing the rear brakes soon. and I will have a look then , but will probably get my local indie to do the work as I dont have all the tools ,
My daily driver is a peuguot 307 I have had 3 wheel bearings go 1 at 50,000 , 1 at 70,000 and 1 at 120,000 with the remaining 1 still original so just goes to show they can fail anytime :?
softmc

Postby dougaberdeen » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:39 pm

well brakes seem all fine, no binding and dust shields not rubbing at all, car has its MOT in about a months time so will see if anything comes up on that, hopefully if there is a problem it will be identified then
dougaberdeen

Postby drumtochty » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:22 pm

If it is not a safety item on the MOT testers tick list they are not interested.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby dougaberdeen » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:41 am

Just a quick update on this, decided to jack up the rear of the car and had a mate sit in it and accelerate to about 50 at which point it quickly became apparent that it was the right rear wheel bearing, so all replaced and running nice and quiet again and as a bonus, through the MOT without any advisories
dougaberdeen

Postby Bob the Train » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:14 pm

Well done. Good to hear the problem is solved. Great way to find it, hope you used axle stands or something similar.
Bob the Train
OC Member
Bob McNair
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby dougaberdeen » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:37 pm

couple of trolley jacks from the rear and the garage I used is on a mates farm so left the door open with plenty of runoff in front of us in case it came off
dougaberdeen

Postby softmc » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:01 am

Glad you found out the issue hope I have the same
will find out soon car still in garage for now
softmc

Postby dougaberdeen » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:33 pm

fingers crossed for you, the part itself isn't expensive, but you will probably be a couple of hours labour
dougaberdeen

Return to Technical