Mk4 or ND Top Up Underseal Project

Post here if you require help or have information that may assist others with their MX-5.

Mk4 or ND Top Up Underseal Project

Postby drumtochty » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:40 pm

We have done say 80% of Ian's car, still some places to get to.

We have not got behind the front bumper, the front of the front chassis rails, into the sills from the top but not convinced that we did not get there from the underside.

We have not lifted the bonnet to see what needs done with high temperature clear wax.

I'm not saying do not do it if you do not have a lift but it will be hard work as we both spent 5 hours on the job, we were tired in the end using the two post.

To be honest, I think we may have say 2 x 4 hours to go.

The next car will be faster as we spent a while saying "how are we going to do that" but at best it is a full days work for two people.

For the next car I want one other appliction person ie. they will get a bit dirty and I also need someone to take loads more pictures as what we have taken to date does not cover the whole project and they need overalls on as well.

Do you people want to some pictures before we publish the full write up. That may be a week two away and as I say the job on the car is not finished yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eddie
Last edited by drumtochty on Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Re: Mk4 or ND Top Up Underseal Project

Postby IanH » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:43 pm

There's a Blue one to do, the owner can either do the dirty bits and I'll take the pictures or vice versa... :D
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby drumtochty » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:45 pm

I think we are both aware who that is!
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby iain cooper » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:17 am

Some progress pictures would be great Eddie

Iain
iain cooper

Postby OldSpice » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:44 am

iain cooper wrote:Some progress pictures would be great Eddie

Iain

Just make sure you are sitting down, preferably with some Tramadol to hand. :wink:
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby drumtochty » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:26 am

OK

Under the front wings after removal of the two piece wheel arch liner.

Front chassis rail

The other side

Other parts of the area under the front wing

Under the rear arches after removing the rear wheel arch liner

The rear bulkhead and the area where the rear cabin drains discharge rainwater.

99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby iain cooper » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:24 pm

Brilliant pictures Eddie, you can almost see the metal through the paint!!

And those dreaded front chassis rails are begging for a good dinitrol coating :)

Iain
iain cooper

Postby drumtochty » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:17 pm

Bilt Hamber UB wax painted on a part of the chassis rail outside looking see through brown but should dry to a darker brown.

Dinitrol Cavity wax being injected into the internal structure of the rear part of the rail there is a further hole to the left on the slimmer part of the chassis rail that was injected as well.

You can see that at the lefthand side of the top picture on the latest photos.

99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby CaptainNorth » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:49 pm

Great work and fascinating photos Eddie.

What a lot of gubbins there is behind that front RHS wheel arch liner!
NC1 BBR Super 200
Citroen C1 - 68HP of raw power
CaptainNorth

Postby IanH » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:48 pm

CaptainNorth wrote:Great work and fascinating photos Eddie.

What a lot of gubbins there is behind that front RHS wheel arch liner!

Isn't there just, it's all the gubbins for the fancy LED lights, reckon it could make a light front end knock more expensive than with the previous models..
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Location: not the end of the world, but you can see it from here or near Inverurie.

Postby CaptainNorth » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:51 pm

Ah, I see, yes I guess it could. It's also reminded me I didn't do much in the front arches/chassis rails last year so that's a job for the dark and salty months.

I gave up with the Dinitrol long wiggly probe Eddie looks like he is using in the photos. Couldn't get the cavity stuff to flow properly for more than a few seconds; it just spluttered. It was cold and wintry in the garage but I did warm the tins beforehand. Found the rigid 5" (ish) nozzles were much more reliable and produced a strong spray. How did you get on?
NC1 BBR Super 200
Citroen C1 - 68HP of raw power
CaptainNorth

Postby drumtochty » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:51 pm

It was around 14C in the garage so it flowed just fine using the Dinitrol long flexi probe and the Bilt Harmer Dynax S50 I used on a Mk1 recently from a big aerosol also did a great job with a similar long flexi nozzle. When doing the under cabin chassis rails and the cavity that goes along the sills it was also finding its way out in places.

There is a lot to be said for using the compressor to spray the stuff on but I'm told it gets everywhere if a compressor is used.

While it was warmish the day we did the work, the garage has between 4" and 6" of insulation and a 50 amp electricity supply so even on the coldest winter’s day it is toasty in there as I wanted to be able to paint spray in there if required in the colder weather.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby OldSpice » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:07 am

You guys are doing the "Right Thing" with that car.
SWMBO came into our "IT room" with a coffee and asked me why I looked like a bunny caught in headlamps while I was viewing your work. :lol:
I'll say no more!
There is always an imbecile you never bargained for. Usually in a Tescon carpark with a dented Zafira minus hubcaps
OldSpice

Postby IanH » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:15 pm

OldSpice wrote:You guys are doing the "Right Thing" with that car.
SWMBO came into our "IT room" with a coffee and asked me why I looked like a bunny caught in headlamps while I was viewing your work. :lol:
I'll say no more!

:D
IanH
OC Member
Ian Hindmarsh
Site Admin

Postby mgrays » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:00 pm

Trick on the stuff is to go start with a hot bucket of hot water into which you pour a full kettle of just boilt (hum one for the OED?) water.. leave it bobbing around in bucket for 15-20 mins and it will be toasty.. about 35C as a guess.. keeps your hands warm while you work on it!

I use a pressure pot or two.. http://www.rust.co.uk/pro-wax-injection ... 1/p405093/ .. £83/kit which comes with fan spray and long probe .. the fan spray is the handy one as you can limit the amount going around but it still is a bit of a dirty job.. in someways if you leave the dirt on the floor .. that absorbs the fluid and you can sweep it up.. otherwise newspapers all over the floor.. Broadsheet newspapers help! I am converting a bit to Bilthammer from Dinotrol.. and the latest is Lechlar paint as a 2 component paint with rust inhibitors whereas the chassis paint/Jotun Epoxymastic can allow rust to creep behind it (it is waterproof but can act like an old fashioned underseal).. Bilthammer do zinc rich primer but it is too soft and harder paints can peel off it.. so hence the Lechlar paint.. not bought it yet! The winter preparation season is upon us.. before they get that first salt on the roads.
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby drumtochty » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:50 pm

Just off the phone to the Bilt Hamber guy.

He advises their UB wax for the exposed areas of the underside that get shot blasted from the road and their Dynax S50 of which I have a good stock for under the wheel arch protectors and the other areas where the dampness and mud can get in but not shot blasted from the road like behind headlights etc.

I use their Hydrate 80 rust converter.

We used the UB wax on Ian's car and my only complaint was you do not get a black finish to tell you that area is covered in wax. The equivalent Dinitrol underbody wax is black and looks a finished job.

I mentioned that to the Bilthamber guy today and he said when they formulated the UB wax, none of the blackeners that you would add to get the solid black finish was completely inert but he will look at it again.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby mgrays » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:06 am

I had talked to Bilthammer a while back and was asking for high impact areas like wheel arches.. and they could not match the Dinitrol 49xx stuff.. I have used UB and it is not bad.. but not as hefty as the 48xx stuff. Mind they say 2 coats at 24 hours as opposed to 1 coat. Anyway Bilthammer does seem the new way forward.
Malcolm GS
94 JLtd2 FM2
mgrays

Postby drumtochty » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:32 am

The areas we used the Dinitrol 4941 underbody wax on looked to be a much thicker application and looked to be the businness.

I said to the Bilt harmer guy yesterday that to an extent the customer wants to see a thick black finish on the underside.

They do not want to have to check the UB wax is there.

He did accept that you need to produce a product that both performs well and looks the part.

So Dynax for the areas of low impact like under arch liners but I wonder about the Dinitrol for high impact areas.

I will wander past tommorrow and see if that dog wants a walk and chew the fat.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby The Pram » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:33 am

Right Eddie, I can come down any weekend that suits you. I guess it has to be when Ian can manage as well. Any time it fits for you both. Cheers
Once the Sheriff, always the Sheriff.

Boorachie of Teuchters.
(reccying is for losers, mind yer smalls)

Supporting member of PHD motor tractors association.

2005 1.8 Arctic edition
2013 2.0 Sport Graphite No177
2015 1.6 Sport Nav
The Pram

Postby drumtochty » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:15 pm

25th looks to be the one if the troops are available.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Next

Return to Technical