Wheel arch repair in/around aberdeen

Details of Trusted and Recommended garages in the North of Scotland.

Wheel arch repair in/around aberdeen

Postby bradleyw » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:28 am

Hi all! It looks like there are plenty of folk on here that may be able to help me. I'm the owner of a mark 2.5 1.8 sport which has developed the classic problem of rusting rear wheel arches. Had a few questions if be grateful for some expertise with!

(1) does anyone have any recommendations of garages that have done these repairs in the past in and around the north east of Scotland (I'm in Aberdeen but willing to take it further afield if someone does a great job!)
(2) has anyone used the repair sill/arch panels from mx5parts?
(3) anyone got a sense of what a reasonable cost would be to fit the repair panels to both sides at the rear and have the necessary respray done?

Thanks so much for your help. No MOT fails yet, but keen to preempt as love it too much and despite being 13 years old only 65k on the clock..

Cheers!!
bradleyw

Re: Wheel arch repair in/around aberdeen

Postby joeytalent » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:08 am

For (2) - I got a repair panel from http://www.mx5city.com/exterior for my NA and it was a good fit.

Can't really help with the rest of your questions, although I would warn that the rust you can see could just be the tip of the iceberg. Well worth checking your sills and chassis rails as well before proceeding with any extensive work.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
joeytalent

Postby bmv6197 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:38 am

As far as repairers go in the Aberdeen area, I have always used On the Road Again in Peterculter. George was recommended to me by people on this forum and has always done an excellent job. I have used him mainly for mechanical work, but did get him to cut out a very small rest spot at the bottom of one of my rear arches, and fabricate a repair section, weld it in a respray. Can't remember the costs but if you give him a call I'm sure he can give you a ballpark figure as he's done loads of them.

Cheers,
Brad.
1995 Mazda MX5 1.8iS (BRG)
1996 Eunos Roadster VR Limited (Combination B) [Now sold]
bmv6197

Postby drumtochty » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:38 am

There is a body shop at coneyhatch that comes recommended between Stonehaven and Maryculter, Steve Reid Autobodies, never used them myself. I usually use someone in Dundee and TJ will probably be on later to recommened.

I do not understand why you are talking about buying body panels because that is what the bodyshop does as well as buy the paint and fillers. No use in telling them how to do their job and they will get the same panel cheaper than you.

Price used to be circa £400 a side all in. There are a number of well known MX5 restorers down south looking for nearer £600 a side.

Double check the boot lid and the front arches for rust as well.

Also when was the last time the front under cover was removed to properly check the front chassis rails.

eddie
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby bradleyw » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:21 pm

Cheers guys! Appreciate the advice. Haven't had any of the above checked, so will get onto one of the shops you suggest!
bradleyw

Postby kpdornan » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:56 pm

Hi Eddie,

hope you're well.

Can you tell me who you use in Dundee?

thanks

Kevin
kpdornan

Postby drumtochty » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:46 pm

Not the guy I used as it was not the best of jobs. I will see if I can find someone.
99 Mk2 1.8 IS Silver
08 Mk3 2.0 RC Sport Copper Red
drumtochty
OC Member
Eddie Cairns
MX-5 OC Club Member

Postby ColinB » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:22 pm

I went to car craft Autobody out the back of Peterculter. He sorted my bubbling quarters painted it and put on my body kit all for around £600. I'm happy to recommend him.
ColinB
OC Member
Colin Bell
MX-5 OC Club Member

Return to North Scotland Garages